1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mountain Climbing slowed to a grinding hault.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kueker87, Aug 22, 2011.

1. kueker87

kueker87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently took a trip to the Rockies (live in Missouri), so this was my first time driving the Prius through mountains. Several times throughout the trip I felt a loss in power while climbing for long periods of time - felt like the engine was slipping.... but it always got up without too much trouble....

However, the following situation happened that caused me much concern:

I was parked at the bottom of a very steep (6% incline) and long hill. The car was parked for around three hours. We (3 grown adults) jumped in the Prius and started up the hill, beginning around 65 mph. About half-way up the hill, the engine started revving and stopping, revving and stopping, revving and stopping... during which the car slowed down to 55, 45, 35, 25.... all the way down to 0. I thought it had died.

I pulled the car over to the side. Turned it off, turned it back on, and we proceeded up the rest of the hill with no problem. Anyone have any ideas on what my Prius was doing? It's a 2005 with around 135K.

2. prairiecomm

prairiecomm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you using 85 octane in high altitudes?

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi kueker. Did you happen to notice anything unusual going on with the SOC (8 bar battery display) during the event?

4. kueker87

kueker87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the delay in response. No, I was using Regular Unleaded Fuel, and I did not notice anything going on with the SOC. I had the Prius checked out by a local Toyota dealer, and they informed me about a "protective mode" the Prius will go into when the battery is critically low. The car was not supposed to slow down to 0, but it was supposed to limit my speed to 45 until the battery was charged more. Does that sound accurate?

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regular Unleaded Fuel in the Rockies is 85 octane. Premium is 91.

The "protective mode" is not a mode, it is just part of the normal algorithm. And it does not speed limit, it power limits. When you climb a large hill with a heavy load like on I-70, your SOC will drop to 1bar. This will basically power limit you to only ICE power still heading up a big hill, and will slow down unless the continuous required power is less than the maximum ICE only output.In your case it was not, so it slowed until it equalized. Now it should not slow you down to 0 as you can climb rather steep hills on engine alone with a pretty good load inside, albeit not fast.

Were you effected by the stalling recall in 2004/2005 models way back when? Did you get it done?

Any lights on the dash?

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mountain driving is really hard on the battery, especially if you do not use B on the downhill, most especially in an older battery. You might think it is neat to put 8 green bars on the battery meter, but with a fully loaded car going down a steep grade, that battery is going to charge fast and heat up. Then you turn it off at the bottom, but the heating continues, due to oxygen formation and recombination as part of the charging process at high SoC levels. On an older battery, that charging level is much closer to full, due to a mismatch between the Coulomb counting SoC algorithm and the loss of capacity on an old battery.

Later, get back in the car, turn it on, the battery fan spins up to high because it has overheated. It is quite likely that the SoC calculation is very confused as well. When I have had this happen to me, aside from that pants-crapping feeling, I have watched the SoC plummet in spite of standing still. We have seen other cases where SoC overshoots on the low side as well, 29% according to one user's ScanGauge. At this level, you can imagine that the HV ECU has decided to charge the battery regardless of the current power demand from the gas pedal. Now, slowing to 0 is a new one, but going much slower than expected can definitely happen under particular circumstances.

Anyway, long story short, your old battery overheated somewhat, it is a sign of wear, it does not necessarily mean that it is about to die, but do try to avoid parking it and turning with more than 6 bars on the battery meter during the summer.

2 people like this.
  7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, the OP's story is interesting I've never heard of this before.

IIRC, I've seen my HV battery SoC get as low as ~35% before per my SG. That's really unusual. I don't recall if it was during a hill climb or while I was in >100 degree weather in Vegas w/high AC usage.

8. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It could be the gas, it could be your air filter (don't forget to check the easy things), it could be the HV battery issue mentioned here, but it could be other things as well.

In another thread on maintenance I remember people discussing spark plug changes. The consensus was that you didn't need to change them before the scheduled maintenance mark (120,000 if I remember correctly) but someone mentioned the part above the plug failing (a quck google search tells me these are called "ignition coils" or "spark igniters".

Ah yes, it was "FBear" at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...bleshooting/20246-spark-plug-replacement.html saying "...the individual coils on top of each plug, which I sadly discovered have a high failure rate due to the excess heat under the hood."

Apparently there was a TSB about water leaking into these causing failure which "Patrick Wong" mentioned in http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...g/45550-ignition-coil-getting-burned-out.html

Several people have described this diagnostic technique:

if you unplug the coil to find out which one is misfiring, you'll probably find that 1 will not change the effect. however.. if 1 isn't firing and you unclip another, the prius will shut down and error code for an ignition coil being unplugged or harness unplug.. depending on how you do it.

but Patrick says "there is no reason to replace the igniter unless you have a misfire DTC and have determined that the igniter is at fault, or if you see burn marks or rust deposits on the plastic body of the igniter."

and ignition coils/spark igniters aren't a due to be replaced on any mileage or time base.

So I can't say that your plugs or ingiters are at fault but you could grab a code checker ODBCII scan tool and see if you have any codes. It might even be worth pulling the plugs to inspect and make sure the ignition coils look normal while you are at it. You may want to put fresh plugs in if you pull the old plugs since the plugs are a low cost item and you'll have already done the work.

But before I went there I'd rule out the air filter as it's even cheaper to replace.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats the worst scenario for a Prius. Its really its only drawback. Fully loaded car and steep hills and not being aware of the state of charge of the hybrid battery.
    When the car starts losing power its because the hybrid battery is almost discharged. One purple bar. At that point the mg2 becomes an albatross around the cars neck because now MG2 demands power and now the hybrid battery is dead and can't really power it so the Inverter must do it full load & now the little engine has to supply almost full power with little contribution from mg2.
    Our car is a mutt without MG2 contribution.

If you opened the hood when you pulled over you would have probably notice the Inverter and the Inverter coolant reservoir was wicked hot and I bet so was the cvt. That scenario is super duty for a Prius.

I hope you have fresh cvt trans fluid in the car and fresh Inverter coolant. If not you should have both changed asap.

If it was me I would not attempt that trip unless I had fully charged
    hybrid battery and a good running start speed wise approaching the worst hill. Take it very easy and the second I see the soc go purple pull over for a cool down and a forced re-charge. Any other way and your just beating the hell out of the car.

10. kueker87

kueker87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all of the advice. The Prius has been through another check-up at my local St.Louis (go cardinals!) Toyota dealer, and it passed with flying colors. She now has over 140,000 miles... and about 5,000 miles since the mysterious mountain climbing incident. Nothing weird since - she runs like a champ. Hope to get 250,000+ out of her.

Another question though, how do you force a re-charge?

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Put the car in drive, press firmly on the brake pedal, and depress the gas pedal about halfway until you see green arrows flowing to the battery. Do not do this if you have more than 5 bars on the battery gauge, or if you can hear the hv battery fan running at its highest setting.

12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can force charge all the way to 7bars, any time. You just need to keep re-adjusting the go pedal pressure as the car readjusts how much it wants to run the ICE versus MG's.

Not really a good thing to do, but there are times when it comes in handy.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What service did the dealer perform to produce flying colors? Your way way overdue for cvt fluid and inverter coolant change. If your hoping to get 250,000 on it you have to change the fluids. Your cvt fluid is black. Get a sample of the cvt fluid and send it out for an universal oil analysis (UOA) like alot of us have. I sent mine here:

http://www.wearcheck.com/

It costs $25. It will give you a real good insight on how hard you are on the car.
    BTW, it wasn't a mysterious incident. It was just the hardest you ever pushed the car.