1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mounting locations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by slair, Aug 9, 2007.

1. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've ordered a scangauge II and am currently still waiting for it. One thing that keeps bugging me is where to mount it. I want it looking stock, not just some box sitting there. I was thinking about tucking it in the little A pillar window cubby, but I'm not exactly sure of how big the scangauge is yet. I was also thinking about putting it in the little storage spot under the radio, but...I use that and dont want to compromise the space. Does anyone else have a scangauge II and have pics or descriptions of their mounting locations, and how you ran the wiring.

Thanks

p.s.: Something I forgot to mention, my front A pillar window is tinted to 5% so there really isnt any risk of anyone walking by and seeing it to steal it.

2. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not to sound like an nice person or anything but I'd recomend doing a search as this has been discussed multiple time in the past. I ended up mounting mine right above the steering wheel on the steering column and ran the cable down the right side of the column right to the OBDII plug.

3. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Aug 9 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]493160[/snapback]</div>
    I put mine in that little storage slot under the radio. The door covers it when not in use, and if I go on a trip I still have enough cable to mount it on the dash with the supplied velcro. It is just the right size to just squeeze in the slot without mounting hardware. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the back left corner of the box, inserted a non-conductive probe to fish up the scangage cable. It's a neat installation and can still be used on the dashboard.

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Aug 9 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]493160[/snapback]</div>
    I found a heads up reading position I am very happy with.
    Bottom of the Rear View Mirror. Run the cable up into the headliner, down window pillar behind the airbag, under the dash. You will need to utilize the shortest distance between two points, i.e. routing diagonally through the under dash components, unless you want to add an extention ethernet cable.

1. Originally, I mounted mine above the rear view mirror. I noted that the pushbuttons of the of the ScanGuage rattled slightly while in motion, so I took it apart and added vey thin foam between the pushbuttons and internal switches to fill the gap between button and switches so they don't rattle. While the guage is open, you can tape a small peice of cardboard over the side RJ-45 connector with black electrical tape and then reassemble it to disguise the unused connector nicely.

[attachmentid=10509]

2. But it was hard to read from the angle off to the side, so I have moved it to the bottom of the rear view mirror. I finally broke down and just used the supplied velcro on the bottom of my mirror.

[attachmentid=10510]

For the first mounting location, the supplied cable was just long enough to run up the window piller, over the headliner, but when I wanted to move it to another car, I would have to pull out the cable. An etra cable from ScanGuage is about 30 bucks. I needed a little more length to run to the bottom of the mirror, so I got a regular Ehternet cable and a Femail to Female connector. Now the ScanGuage cable is coiled up under the dash so I can unplug it from the Female to Female Connector and OBDII connector for temporary use diagnosing other cars.

3. The ethernet cable fits inside the existing channel behind the mirror with other mirror cable. When routing the cable up the window piller, be sure to go behind the airbag so you don't block it's deployment.

[attachmentid=10511]

[attachmentid=10512]

Attached Files:

5. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've installed it in the box just under the radio also. I took the box out to drill a small hole for the wiring, and add a backing plate that I velcroed the gauge to. The cable is actually a RJ45 network cable that I used as an extension. If I want to use the gauge to clear codes on another car I can remove the gauge and leave the permanent length of cable installed, but take the OBDII plug and gauge with me. That small switch on the left is the "Nanny Bypass Switch" for the Nav, Radio, and Bluetooth. With the door closed it's all invisible.

[attachmentid=10508]

Attached Files:

6. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 10 2007, 06:39 AM) [snapback]493492[/snapback]</div>
    I realy don't understand why this is such a big deal to people. The search feature is a tool, but it is not perfect.

I searched for "Scangauge mount" and I only got one result subject "Mounting Tape"

I searched for "Scangauge", and there were 9 pages of results.

If you don't want to reply to a quetion, don't. But please also consider that new ideas may be born out of discussing old topic in a fresh thread too. Rather than telling people to do searches, why not just move on?

How quickly do people forget their first post on PriusChat? Apparently, less than 60 days!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Jun 4 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]455386[/snapback]</div>
    Not to sound like an nice person or anything but I'd recomend doing a search as this had also been discussed before Jun 4 2007: Feb 25-27, 2006, Mounting a ScanGauge, Where? (details, please....).

7. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 10 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]493519[/snapback]</div>
    I've never had much success with the search feature on PC. Instead, I use Google, which is far more effective. Just enter your search as:

"site:priuschat.com search word(s)"

This will limit Google's search to the PC site.

8. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoDosch @ Aug 10 2007, 08:02 AM) [snapback]493524[/snapback]</div>
    Now that is very helpful advice! I have noted that often when I search for Prius information on Google that I get results from PriusChat, but I never realized I could put "site:piuschat.com" in the search box.

I will be trying that soon. Thank you!

9. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did a search and aparentally I didnt find the topic Feb 25-27, 2006, Mounting a ScanGauge, Where? (details, please....), or else I wouldnt have made this. I did find random pics through out the different threads of pics of scangauges already mounted, so I guess you could consider them, but there were few and they were randomly placed.

NoMo, thats a really good idea for a spot, I never even thought about that. I had no idea the scangauge used an rj-45 ethernet cable. I'm a network admin so coming across those isnt anything out of the ordinary. By chance, do you know if its a straight through or a cross-over? I would almost think its a cross-over since the scangauge might be considered a PC also. But, I dont have my scangauge yet, so I dont know.

10. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Slair, Here was my post asking pretty much the same question. I'd look for more but am at work and kind of busy. I know there are a few post regarding this out there but are a pain to find. Also not sure if anyone mentioned above but there is a site that sells a mount that goes above the rear view mirror too.

11. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Aug 10 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]493597[/snapback]</div>
    The hot link to 2/25/06 topic showed up in Black on my other post, but here it is again in Blue this time:
    <span style="color:#3333FF">hot link to the Feb 25 2006 topic.</span>

One end of the data cable has the RJ-45 and the other end has an OBDII conector, so you will be extending the cable. Therefore, I would say a sttaight through cable, not a cross over. I used a junction block that had female RJ-45s on both sides to link on the extension, but as a network admin, you may have RJ-45 extension cables male - female already.

In fact, it only need to be maybe 1-2.5 feet long, so if you have the crimping tool to make it up on the spot at the time of installation, you may not need quite so long of a cable, but I decided to keep my entire ScanGauge supplied cable bundled up under the dash anyway, so I can easily remove ti to diagnose my other cars and leave the extenson cable alone up in the headliner and so on.

If you have any extra thin cables, I recommend them. You know how the Cat5 cable jacket is kinda loose over the eight conductors? Well, I actually sord of had to play with scrunching it flatter around the existing mirror cable to pack them both into that little channel up the windshield, so if you can find extra thin network cable, it may go in easier.

12. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can actually take a razor blade and cut that "boot" off. Its not molded into the cable's jacketing, its just a seperate piece so that the clip on the rj-45 doesn't snag anything. I always cut mine off because its easier to route through small spaces. Be very careful not to cut the cable though. I'd suggest cutting it up top by the hard plastic and just rip the boot the rest of the way down.

13. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bb513 @ Aug 10 2007, 07:07 AM) [snapback]493502[/snapback]</div>
    ditto..... i like it there... and it's hidden when i'm not in the car!

14. skandale

skandale Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 10 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]493622[/snapback]</div>
    You wouldn't happen to remember what site it is that sells this mount?

Some of you say you have put the ScanGaugeII in the compartment below the radio. As I haven't received my Prius yet, I haven't had the chance to check how to remove the compartmen to drill a hole in it. Is it easy to remove the compartmen? Is it just to pull it out (maybe squeeze it a little in the middle), or do you have to disassemble half the car?

I've been shopping for my new Prius (due in mid September) for some weeks now. I've got the ScanGaugeII and DarellDD's LED lights (which he sadly doesn't sell anymore) and I'm waiting for WeatherTech products (FloorLiners, CargoLiner and deflectors).

Stein

15. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Aug 9 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]493160[/snapback]</div>
    I've had mine for about a month now and at first I put mine in the little storage spot below the radio, as you mentioned.

However, I ordered a GPS sandbag mount for my Garmin Nuvi 350, and I found that sticking the SGII to this mount works pretty well. If I get a chance later I'll post a picture of it.

This way it's not a permanent mount and I can move it under the seat if I want to hide it.

16. skandale

skandale Member

I've found a shop that sells the BlendMount mount to put the ScanGaugeII over the mirror.
    MGT Motorsports (http://www.mgtmotorsports.com).

I've ordered one, but haven't had the chance to test it yet.

Stein Tore

17. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skanDALE @ Aug 21 2007, 02:24 AM) [snapback]499625[/snapback]</div>
    Where would you run the cord if you had it mounted ontop of the mirror? You'd probably have to get the extension cord and run it around the edge of the glass so it doesn't obstruct your view.

IMHO, looking up to the mirror for information pertaining to the Prius would be a bit of a nuisance. I like looking down to the dash level where the MFD is so I can catch a glimpse of whatever I need all in one quick glance.

18. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 21 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]499681[/snapback]</div>
    I looked into the BlendMount myself, and had the same concern about the cord. Several weeks ago I emailed the company, thinking that if they're selling the mirror mount, they may have some suggestions, though my message went unanswered.

I currently have my ScanGauge stuck to the dash just above the steering column (as much as I hate sticking things to the dash like that.) The visibility is good, though hitting the buttons can be a bit awkward.

19. skandale

skandale Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 21 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]499681[/snapback]</div>
    I want the ScanGaugeII to be as much "invicible" as possible from the outside. I don't want to have anything that may be considered valuable lying in the car as there have been numerous thefts in my area. For this reason, having the ScanGaugeII on the dashboard is out of the question for me.

Another option was the little compartment under the radio. But I do not want to occupy thet nice space with a permanent ScanGaugeII, I want that space for other loose stuff. And it's a pain having to look down there all the time.

And as I do look in the rear view mirror regularly, having the ScanGaugeII mountet above the mirror would make is quite easy to keep an eye on.

As for the cable, yes, I don't look forforward to hiding that cable. But others have found a way, so I should be able to do it. The main concern will be down the A pillar, not obstructing (or event worse, deploying) the airbag there (in Norway, all the airbags are standard, as is VSC).

Stein