1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mounting Radio under dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tcrwfrd50, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Tcrwfrd50

Tcrwfrd50 New Member

I am trying to mount a Sirius Sportster under the dash using a Profit mount. I got the adhesive mount as I originally did not want to drill holes in the plastic. The adhesive failed. Went to the auto parts store and pick up side moulding tape. That work for a week. Now I am down to the realization that I am going to have to use screws. My concern is that I don't want to drill blindly into the underdash. The exact location I need to drill is the underside centered on the floor hump about 5 inches down from the DIN sized storage compartment under stereo. Is there anything behind the plastic that would make it too perilous to drill blindly. If so how do I remove the plastic to see what is behind it.

2. ram1901

ram1901 New Member

See PHOTOS attached...
    After dealer said it would be $299 for the XM factory Upgrade for my 2006 Prius and another $270 to install I went to the nearest electronics store, bought the XM RoadyXT which comes with several mounting kits for car for $49 after $20 rebate. Installed in about 1 hour. No screws. Used adhesive that came with the swivel mounting base and attached to the column under the dash. Routed antenna wire under dash to insulation by door.. up the door frame to the headliner and tucked it EASILY under the headliner to the back hatch and out the center of the hatch and onto the roof behind the radio antenna. Uses bought in FM modulator on 88.3 and works great. the unit has a audio output level adjust for the modulator. Works great, looks good.. need to dress the wires going to the dc jack, but other than that it's good to go.

3. Tcrwfrd50

Tcrwfrd50 New Member

Good pictures. Same idea, but I am looking to mount radio a little higher up on the black section. I originally wanted to mount the radio where you have, but felt it would be awkward for my wife to reach that far. It appears that it is quite involved to remove this black plastic trim to check behind it.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think there is a lot behind there, but it's been a while since I took apart the dash to install my XM radio, so I can't be sure.

However, you might be able to reach behind there, or at least look behind there by removing that bowed panel above the floor hump. It comes off real easy, and you don't have to take apart the whole dash.

To remove that bowed panel, first pop out the screw like fastener that is on the passenger side of the panel. It's not really a screw, but is a plastic pin with fins on it that stick into a hole. It's got a 1/2 inch head on it. Remove it by reaching your fingers behid the panel and give a short, but quick firm pull. This will pop the pin at least half way out, if not all the way out.

Now grab on to the two "tabs" that are on either side of the top of the bowed panel. The cigarette lighter power socket is on one of those "tabs". Firmly pull the two tabs towards you to release the fasteners. A short quick jerk works the best.

When you are done, the panel will snap right back in and then you can push the "screw" back into the passenger side.

And if you want or need to take off that panel where you wish to mount the radio, you really have to take apart the whole dash. Here are really good instructions for doing that with lots of pictures.

http://www.chrisdragon.com/downloads/Stere...us,%20v1.03.pdf