1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mouse chomping on radio to antenna wire...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by madison7363, Mar 27, 2012.

1. madison7363

madison7363 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone...here I am again~
    The radio died, I thought a fuse, no. The Toyota Dealer thought a new radio was needed. He installed the radio last night, only to look further and inform me -- a mouse had been chomping on my radio wire that leads to the antenna. He then gave me a $700.00 quote. I can not afford that type of repair. My regular mechanic won't touch this. How can I find a qualified mechanic to work on the radio wiring? (looking up Toyota Prius repair on Google only throws me right back to dealers) Right now I have a guy who restores cars who is willing to look at it... but its far from a model T.. ??? I'm in Akron Ohio and will take any suggestions.

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Take it to a car audio store, it should take too much trouble to fix it, nor $700 to correct a antenna cable, For $700 you could have a new head unit put in. Oh yeah, get rid of the mouse first!

3. madison7363

madison7363 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear mice are scared of owls... I'm considering supergluing a large plastic owl as my hood ornament--lol. Thanks for suggestion!

4. madison7363

madison7363 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Update-- Do you know I can not find one audio/electric repair shop willing to touch my Prius (I gave up after calling 10). Really disappointing. Seems either I pay $700 or I can't get the radio working again. For now, I don't have $700 to spare. oh well :(

5. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You can pull the head unit out and look for the antenna cable, strip the wire back and connect them together. It is not the critical of a job. You may need to know where the cut is in reference to the head unit.