1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moussaoui Trial

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, May 4, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

What is your reaction to the sentence for convicted 9/11 plotter Zacarias Moussaoui?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably reasonable. Would I like to see him dead...yea, but I don't think the charges or evidence (as I heard it from the TV news anyway) support the death penalty.

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

In my opinion, Moussaoui is a mentally unstable patsy who had little or nothing to do with 911. Very much like Lee Harvy Oswald. The real perpetrators of the crime will never face trial.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 4 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]249804[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect that's accurate.

I'll quickly delete this thread before someone notices us agreeing with one another.... B)

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

Nice to see we are in agreement about something, though I doubt we would agree on who the "real perpetrators of 911" were.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We prosecuted a delusional wannabe who at best had a tangential involvement in the tragic events that unfolded on September 11, 2001, while at the same time the United States government has not put on trial the masterminds and planners of these horrific terrorist acts, despite having them in custody.

As Hamlet said: “Something is rotten in the state...â€

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 4 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]249848[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't know it was a question...

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Excerpts from the Los Angeles Times:

9. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 4 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]249706[/snapback]</div>
    I actually supported the death penalty for awhile, but the I have changed my mind after I did some research on whether it's really effective or not (not, IMO). Besides that would allow him God knows how many appeals...more money wasted on that asshat. No, thanks.

As far as Zackie goes, I was really worried that they'd let emotion prevail and give him the DP--I'm glad cooler heads prevailed. I'm sure everyone thought that he'd become a martyr--which is just what we need with all of these radical religious zealots running around shrieking 'death to America'.

I think that a lifetime in solitary would be a fate worse than death. I hope he enjoys his new accommodations. :D

I would think that there are a bunch of things that may befall our homey: he could hang himself I guess...but I was thinking more along the lines of those fun guys in the kitchen that might give his meatloaf just a hint of zesty urine to compliment his "tapioca" pudding. Mmm MMM! He'll have a blast (um, no pun intended)...it'll be just like al Queda training camp! Um, except without all of the fun shooting and playing the on the monkey bars, etc.

A toast! As they say in Italy (and on HBO)..."Salute a cent’anno!" Health for a 100 years! Va fungool, putz!

10. jared2

jared2 New Member

"I think that a lifetime in solitary would be a fate worse than death

It would, in fact, be a form of torture that would drive almost anyone insane. Is this a good thing? You be the judge. He is clearly a marginal character that was served up for a show trial to assuage atavistic intincts in the public. His "trial" was another psychological operation, like 9/11 itself.

11. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 5 2006, 07:19 AM) [snapback]250184[/snapback]</div>
    "Is this a good thing?"

Um...lemme think...um....HELL YEAH! I think every once in awhile we should drag his stupid nice person out and let him twitch and drool for the cameras. Show a split screen with footage from 9-11 while they're at it. I doubt that the families of the dead would have a problem with seeing what life in prison has done to him. They would feel vindication instead of feeling the need to demand the death penalty.

Whatever the designation of the "trial", as you put it, his conduct during that trial shows that if you gave him a gun or a bomb he'd use it on as many Americans that he could get in his sights. He's a mad dog that should be locked away for the rest of his life. So...yeah it's a real good thing.

12. jared2

jared2 New Member

Moussaoui now says he was not involved in 9/11

Moussaoui Asks to Withdraw Guilty Plea

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: May 8, 2006
    ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) -- "Convicted Sept. 11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui says he lied on the witness stand about being involved in the plot and wants to withdraw his guilty plea because he now believes he can get a fair trial.

In a motion filed Friday but released Monday, Moussaoui said he testified March 27 he was supposed to hijack a fifth plane on Sept. 11, 2001, and fly it into the White House "even though I knew that was a complete fabrication."

A federal court jury spared the 37-year-old Frenchman the death penalty last Wednesday. On Thursday, U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema gave him six life sentences, to run as two consecutive life terms, in the federal supermax prison at Florence, Colo.

At sentencing, she told Moussaoui: "You do not have a right to appeal your convictions, as was explained to you when you plead guilty" in April 2005. "You waived that right."

She said he could appeal his sentence but added, "I believe it would be an act of futility."

Moussaoui's court-appointed lawyers told the court they filed the motion even though a federal rule "prohibits a defendant from withdrawing a guilty plea after imposition of sentence." They did so anyway because of their "problematic relationship with Moussaoui" and the fact that new lawyers have yet to be appointed to replace them."

Is this guy a mastermind or a scapegoat?

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 8 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]251682[/snapback]</div>
    Neither.

A wannabe remotely involved and sent up the river...

14. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 8 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]251695[/snapback]</div>
    And who could be relied upon to send himself up the river...