1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Move over, Rhino Ramps; The Canadian made Scepter Pro Ramps are much better...

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike500, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As an earlier adopter of the Blitz Rhino Ramps, I was NEVER that happy with them.

They slid all over the place so much that I drove over them and took a divot out of the end stops, when one landed on the "pinch weld" of my car.

In 2012, I decided to replace the old messed up ones with the "new and improved" 16,000 lbs. wide versions that nested together for storage.

After a few uses, the back web split from just nesting them. Recently, my brother changed the oil in his 2003 Corolla. The flat surface going up on them was so lick that one wheel spun on it to the point of melting the surface. I disliked them so much that I told him to keep them.

So, after reading the good reviews on the new Scepter "Pro Ramps," I saw them at Tractor Supply and decided to give them a try.

They were cheap at under $40 out the door.

Basically, they ARE much better than any of the Rhino Ramps, although they are lower than the much more expensive Race Ramps.

KhaPhoRa and DadofHedgehog like this.
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Aha. Appears that Sceptre of Canada purchased Blitz/Rhino's assets in the latter firm's bankruptcy over arguably preventable gas can fires.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hopkins Manufacturing, the makers of the Vintage Hoppy Split Image Transit and trailer wiring accessories of Kansas purchased the automotive division of Blitz in Oklahoma after the bankruptcy.

Scepter pioneered the HDPE has can in the early 1980's and has made the Military Fuel Can currently used by all NATO and the US military.

Rhino Ramps are made of HDPE. Scepter ramps are made of polypropylene which is more stable at higher temperatures.

Air_Boss likes this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Aha!

Mike500 likes this.
  7. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have, use, and like the latest rev of the Rhino ramps. I think the HDPE vs PP thing is irrelevent, as I don't intend to use either above the continuous service temp of HDPE, 110°C. They both have poor UV tolerance, but are about equal in strength. About the only benefit of PP in this instance is that it is more easily machined. Well, that and it makes for a nice base layer in clothing...

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a U.S. Marine, and the Rev-2 Rino Ramps were available at my local Wally for $40.
    I've used them two or three times and they're perfect for my application.

Yes.
    Snap-Ons are better than Craftsman.....but for me?
    I don't make my living swinging wrenches.
    I say that you can get tools of acceptable quality for maintaining vehicles and making home repairs without having to mail order "garage candy" from specialty shops.
    Craftsman....or even some lesser brands are 'good enough' for this weekend hobbyist.

YMMV.
    To be fair?
    I think that you can get the Specters for <$60 and they ARE good ramps.
    I just don't think that the Rhino 2.0s are a bad choice either for the $40 that they cost me.....
    and they nest inside each other.
    Makes them easier to store and transport. :)

nsfbr likes this.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    love my rhinos' they are about 15 years old... the non-nesting type.

My one gripe is that I lost the "rubber pad" that helps keep them from slipping when you drive up on them, but if you approach them slowly and ease up them they work fine..

nice thing is they don't rust so I can leave them outside under the deck for the 1-2 times a year that I use them...

10. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Exactly re the Snap-On vs. Craftsman statement. It is something that I've pointed out to people many times. There is no need to pay for a capability that you will never need, not ever, when good enough is really good enough. I personally would love a hydraulic lift in my four car garage. However, I have neither a lift nor a four car garage. I have a relatively flat portion of my driveway and some Rhino ramps. Good enough.

(Although I did splurge and get a really nice Al+Steel floor jack and all Al jack stands :D)