1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Move/Relocate Seat Heater Switch?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Zedknepplin, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi PC,
    Has anyone else thought that the seat heater switch was placed in an odd location? :rolleyes: When I went to use it once, I had to 'feel' for it since I did not want to take my eyes off the road.
    I was wondering about the possibility of moving it to the blank just under the Power switch: :mod:

[​IMG]

Has anyone done this? :confused:

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It probably doesn't have enough wire on the harness to move it that far up. I've had that escutcheon plate off (it can be pried out carefully) to get an accessory wire to the outlet next to that switch. BTW, I have a II which does not have heated seats. To get to the blank you point out, you would need to remove at least 3 sky-bridge panels and then the power button panel in order to gain access behind that blank. Also, the heated seats switch is probably a different size than that blank.

3. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like it is the same size to me. You would likely have to cut and extend the wires. The stock placement makes no sense at all.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not a bad mod if you don't have the Adv. Tech package as that's where the IPA button is normally located and it's within easy reach.

5. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the ideas! :p
    I found a drawing in PC for the seat heater switch. There are 7 wires to extend possibly.
    My concerns are that if I remove panels, etc.

• Then the rattles will begin. It's been pretty quiet so far.
    • Plus I just installed the bamboo trim kit so that is another problem.
    I have not found any pics to see how to pop out the switch and 12v plug (without damaging the edge of the insert). :eek:
    I was thinking I would do all of this at the same time I install the JDM Mirrors.
    Since summer is coming soon, there is no big rush. I'm usually driving by myself, so if the passenger needs a hot seat I can work the switch for them.
    The ATP looked neat, but I did not see myself using all those items so I just got the NAV option. It seems odd getting a Prius 5 and still having a lot of blanks in the dash! ;)
    I guess Toyota did that so the switch would be in the same place no matter which trim level or packages you selected.
    . . .

UPDATE! :cheer2:
    OK, I just checked. :mod:
    The switch plate and blank are easy enough to remove. The seat heater switch has 7 wires, not 5. (Surprisingly thin wires, too!) You are right, the wire barely reached the switch much less all the way up to the power switch.
    The Problem now is: :eek:

• The switches have a series of grooves sticking out on them that match a series of slots on the associated panel.
    • The slots in the blank under the power switch do not match the grooves on the seat heater switch. (I tried) :confused:
    So, unless I trim/grind those off - the switch will not fit in there. This is a bit more work than I intended to do, so I may do this some other time if I feel the need to have a project to work on. I can probable prep 7 wires about 2' long and run a string through the blank under the power switch to the back of the heater switch blank and thread it up that way. That way I do not have to pull any trim pieces. :mad: Oh well...

[​IMG]

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not only that, if they had put the seat heater buttons in the same place where the IPA button is located, we'd be hearing from people complaining that they can't find the seat heater switch as it's a bit hidden from direct view. The IPA button is located where it is because it's a bit out of direct view yet still within relatively easy reach for drivers who know what they're doing.

7. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess my predictions were true then. Not so easy to do. Sorry it won't work as a "quick swap". Those thin wires and tiny harnesses are very difficult to work with. I did a mod that put a hidden LED on the rear face of the low-bridge. It gives just enough green ambient light that I can see anything in the low-bridge at night. I can even see the outlet and blank for the seat heater.

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't have a real problem with the location of the seat heater switch, since I don't need to access it that often. That being said, I just wish they had positioned the switch so the buttons were left/right instead of top/bottom.

9. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Leave the stock switches where they are and simply install another switch at your desired location. Use some that have a rating of 10A switched. Then connect the two poles of the switch to pin 5 and 6 for left seat and the other switch to pin 3 and 4 of the stock switch assembly. Use some wires with the same diameter as the stock ones. No worries as they do not carry much power if any. The switches only control the submodules of the seat heater and drive the two LEDs.

This way you can switch the seat heater on with either the stock or new button and the heater LEDs lights up as usual.

I want to do this mod asap when I find switches that mach the interior (maybe from a donor car) or maybe just install the switches on the seats somewhere.

10. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No doubt Engineers put it there for access by both the driver and passenger.

A lousy placement to be sure. But assume Toyota did not want a placement on the console area or near HVAC so vehicles without seat heaters would have yet another unsightly blank switch cover.

But - as others have said - why not at least a left/right orientation for the switch. Is the North/South switch a common item from other Toyota vehicles - $$ savings. One would think that at least they would have redesigned it for model year '11. So many design niggles esp interior that Toyota glanced over in '11. And although I'm pleased with mine, would think twice if I was in the market for a hybrid right now - watch out Toyota....

11. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the switch assembly is absolutely the same as on our 07 RAV4.

I do really don't like the postition of the switches. They cannot be reached blind and I have to bend foreward and look down quickly. That's not really engineering :(

12. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's just terrible when you're driving along and suddenly you start getting butt chills... necessitating your having to reach down and fumble around for your seat heater switch. Such are the trials and tribulations of modern man!

Seriously, I'm trying to locate after market seat heater switches, and am unable to come up with a better place than the little console cover where the stock switch is mounted.

Another PC thread suggested placing the two aftermarket switches just to the left of the stock switch (blank on my Level II) and to the right of the cigar lighter outlet.

Somewhat of a stretch to reach, but with separate switches for passenger and driver you can see when they are on... when your passenger's getting butt chills, etc. :eek:

13. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK, goofy or not, I did it. :der: Instead of moving the switch, I installed a parallel switch like robby3 suggested. The hard part was making the switch inserts. I also did a mod that enabled the backup camera while driving (for blindspots), and installed the blue wire for the JDM puddle lamps while I had it taken apart. :high5:

[​IMG]
    Get stuff ready and make the inserts. The store switch was too small, and the factory blank did not allow for modifications. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    A little bit of woodworking. Too bad you won't see it after I paint it! :(
    [​IMG]
    Right now, the Red LED on the switch does not light up. :eek:
    [​IMG]
    This switch is easier to get to, and it WORKS! - :p Toasty buns!
    [​IMG]
    I tried to connect 3 wires to the new switch so the switch LED would come on also, BUT it stayed ON!? :confused: even when it's switched OFF. I disconnected the ground to the switch*. I think the voltage on the Brown wire is the cause. :high5:

1 person likes this.
  14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks great!

15. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well done :)

Do you have a schematic diagram of the Switch and its LED? You may try to exchange the brown and blue wires to the button. I guess this will work then.

16. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi robby3, :p
    I got the switches a few years ago for another project and robbed it for parts. I went to just about every parts store in town (for some new ones), and Target, Walmart, Radio Shack and even Lowes, but can find nothing like them. Radio Shack had something close except those were round. No schematics for the switch. I was thinking about switching the Blue and Beige wire tie-ins like you suggested (after I cut the ground and saw that it still worked), but will try it later (maybe when my JDM Mirrors finally come in). My Back was starting to bother me :mad: from all of the bending and twisting, I hate to solder, tape and re-tape a project -it tends to get messy. :high5:

UPDATE:
    I switched the Beige and Blue wires and was able to re-attach the White/Black ground wire (to the new switch). The switch now operates in parallel with the factory switch to include the power LEDs.
    Revised Drawing: ;)
    [​IMG]
    Switch in action: :mod:
    [​IMG]

17. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great job!!!

1 person likes this.