1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moveon.org's NY Times ad. . .

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Sep 12, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'll spin this in my post below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I won't answer but I will write something completely off base below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the only way your vote would sway the poll would be to increase the number of "off base" responses. :p

While I agree with the general point MoveOn is trying to make, I don't agree with the methods. By calling him "Betray Us", I think they're impugning the character of a man who has served his country honorably. As it stands, rather than focusing on the inconsistencies they see in the report, the ad focuses more on the messenger.

They could have accomplished the same thing without going after General Petraeus himself.

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the only way your vote would sway the poll would be to increase the number of "off base" responses. :p

While I agree with the general point MoveOn is trying to make, I don't agree with the methods. By calling him "Betray Us", I think they're impugning the character of a man who has served his country honorably. As it stands, rather than focusing on the inconsistencies they see in the report, the ad focuses more on the messenger.

They could have accomplished the same thing without going after General Petraeus himself.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 12 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]511095[/snapback]</div>
    I find the ad disgusting and bordering on treasonous. Its debasing. It lowers the bar to the lowest rung possible. The fact that there are those who have not denounced it is terrible. the fact that the ny times printed it for a fraction of the price it usually charges for full page ads is as disgusting - not surprising given their treasonous acts of the recent past. I am getting tired of the left going further and further left - i am beginning to believe that they would love to see America hit again and before President Bush leaves office.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 12 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]511095[/snapback]</div>
    I find the ad disgusting and bordering on treasonous. Its debasing. It lowers the bar to the lowest rung possible. The fact that there are those who have not denounced it is terrible. the fact that the ny times printed it for a fraction of the price it usually charges for full page ads is as disgusting - not surprising given their treasonous acts of the recent past. I am getting tired of the left going further and further left - i am beginning to believe that they would love to see America hit again and before President Bush leaves office.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    David, comments like you just made are far more treasonous and anti-American than anything in that ad. Stating the facts of a ill-advised, unwarranted war gone (unsuprisingly) terribly wrong are VERY American...Very Patriotic. You'd choose to stifle that expression in some semi-Communistic mind-control manner.
    You've got the White House who gets to have any political BS they want printed for free and you complain about this...now that is sad.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    David, comments like you just made are far more treasonous and anti-American than anything in that ad. Stating the facts of a ill-advised, unwarranted war gone (unsuprisingly) terribly wrong are VERY American...Very Patriotic. You'd choose to stifle that expression in some semi-Communistic mind-control manner.
    You've got the White House who gets to have any political BS they want printed for free and you complain about this...now that is sad.

9. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  10. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  11. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "i am beginning to believe that they would love to see America hit again and before President Bush leaves office."

Way out of line, B. The only person I've ever heard speak of a wish for this was a Republican. As that politician pointed out, another strike before the election would benefit Republicans, NOT democrats.
    You need not knock off this BS that democrats are "America haters". It's pure hogwash and makes you sound like a lunatic.

I have not seen the ad, or care to, and have no comment on it.

12. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "i am beginning to believe that they would love to see America hit again and before President Bush leaves office."

Way out of line, B. The only person I've ever heard speak of a wish for this was a Republican. As that politician pointed out, another strike before the election would benefit Republicans, NOT democrats.
    You need not knock off this BS that democrats are "America haters". It's pure hogwash and makes you sound like a lunatic.

I have not seen the ad, or care to, and have no comment on it.

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 07:20 AM) [snapback]511171[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry Berman, i didn't realize that speaking out against the administration was treason... Why don't we just finish what Bush started and erode all of our personal freedoms?

14. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 07:20 AM) [snapback]511171[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry Berman, i didn't realize that speaking out against the administration was treason... Why don't we just finish what Bush started and erode all of our personal freedoms?

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 05:20 AM) [snapback]511171[/snapback]</div>
    LOL

I think you are truely the least patriotic out of this bunch we call PC. A true patriot will speak out against ALL oppressors to our country.

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."

-Theodore Roosevelt

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 05:20 AM) [snapback]511171[/snapback]</div>
    LOL

I think you are truely the least patriotic out of this bunch we call PC. A true patriot will speak out against ALL oppressors to our country.

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."

-Theodore Roosevelt

17. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  18. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 12 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]511266[/snapback]</div>
    What Irony, I was thinking of posting something about Dr. Berman's McCarthy-like tactics in his post and that article accuses Moveon.org of the same.
    Hmmmm, maybe the truth lay somewhere between.
    Frankly, I don's see Moveon's comments as McCarthy like at all. A bit unfair and one-sided, maybe. And I don't particularly like that they've singled out Patraeus when he's just a guy trying to do his job...not an easy one either.
    But accusing someone of treason b/c they disagree with the status quo is wrong too. Regardless, this is all pretty unproductive unless it generates meaningful dialog...something pretty rare these days.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 12 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]511266[/snapback]</div>
    What Irony, I was thinking of posting something about Dr. Berman's McCarthy-like tactics in his post and that article accuses Moveon.org of the same.
    Hmmmm, maybe the truth lay somewhere between.
    Frankly, I don's see Moveon's comments as McCarthy like at all. A bit unfair and one-sided, maybe. And I don't particularly like that they've singled out Patraeus when he's just a guy trying to do his job...not an easy one either.
    But accusing someone of treason b/c they disagree with the status quo is wrong too. Regardless, this is all pretty unproductive unless it generates meaningful dialog...something pretty rare these days.