1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

movies on MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by unheardthreat, Jan 18, 2006.

1. unheardthreat

unheardthreat New Member

ive seen pictures of people who have been able to watch dvds from the MFD by using a seperate dvd player and tweaking the car a little. does the car have to have NAV in it in order to do this to the car? is there any difference in quality of the MFD with NAV vs. without? i thought it would be cool if i could get this on a package 2 or 3, im too broke for package 8.

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

NAV is not involved in playing DVDs with a separate player. The nav unit only plays nav DVDs, not movie DVDs.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You do require an A/V gizmo attached to the MFD to make your connections to your DVD player.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. A video controller will do the trick. Then plug the DVD player into the controller.

5. saechaka

saechaka Member

where can you get one of these video controllers for non nav units?

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Before you go too far with this, saechaka, you may want to ask for more opinions. I'm not sure if the non-Nav 2006 Prii have the higher resolution screen. The 2004/5 screen would be unsuitable for TV - too low res and too slow. A slow LCD screen can't handle an image that moves fast without washing out and blurring, the pixels can't keep up with the signal.

Look in the electronics and audo forum and you'll find lots of discussion about adding video display to the MFD, mostly for a rear-view camera, now available on the 2006, but it's the same little video box that plugs into the MFD.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, but didn't Coastal show a video of him playing some tv sitcom on the MFD when he was running tests of the ViewTech?

8. unheardthreat

unheardthreat New Member

thats one of the issues i need some answers to. so there is, in fact, a difference in monitor quality from the NAV and non-NAV MFD?

9. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

I don't know where you heard that from Bill. I've got a 2004 and a VIDTOY tied into it without any video problems you mention. Maybe I'm just lucky... :rolleyes:

10. c4

c4 Active Member

The standard MFD is fine for video input.. All but the very cheapest NTSC-input LCD panels you can buy on the market today will meet scan requirements for NTSC video, so speed is generally not a problem (with some of these, on very cold days, you may see a bit of ghosting until the monitor warms up), the only real issues are those of size and resolution, but it's actually quite acceptable as long as you realize you're watching on a little 6" low-res screen and not your 55" wide screen and adjust your expectations accordingly..

I can play perfectly acceptable DVD video on my Classic Prius MFD which is even smaller than the 04/05.. Using the MFD for computer display on the other hand leaves something to be desired as even VGA resolution comes out somewhat fuzzy..

11. sazzam

sazzam New Member