1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Movies, Weather, Global Warming and Coincindences

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Feb 21, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    now i know the debate over whether global warming is a reality will not be resolved until we are smack dab in the middle of it and waaay too late to do anything about it, so i wont go there.

but the weather has been interesting here of late. ignoring one of the worst hurricane seasons in recent memory, we now have much heavier than normal snowstorms in the northeast and flooding and water spouts in LA.

now this is real life and its kinda funny when you consider how many people felt that the movie "Day After Tommorrow" was so outlandish. ok, so the instantaneous ice age was a bit of a stretch. but we must realize that you have to stretch things to get the point across in under two hours right??

its kinda funny though when today was another gorgeous day in the "rainy" pacific northwest... not even a hint of a cloud in the sky. for most of last week, rain was predicted daily... never got a drop. finally on friday, the weatherman revised his forecast and said clear skies through sunday with rain by sunday night... hmmm well, its dark out but still not a cloud in the sky...

but anyway i digress. but its interesting that this rainy season so far, that los angeles has gotten more rain this year than seattle has. when was the last time that has happened? now we still got a lot of spring to go, so seattle may catch up... but tommorows weather??

seattle; clear, sunny temps in the mid 50's to low 60's

los angeles; rain, heavy at times, expected rainfall 1-3 inches, flood and mudslide warnings in effect throughout all of southern ca.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    WoW! I didn’t realize it was already your summer season. Doesn’t that normally happen exclusively during the first week in August? . . . just in time for the SeaFair Hydro races up in Seattle.

No wonder those Washingtonians who were interviewed on a local TV news program were flocking down this direction for the snow skiing. I see where Crystal Mountain has only a 19 inch base. That is sad.
    http://www.crystalmt.com/themountain/index.asp

Come this summer, California is going to be in a world of hurt for electricity if Washington doesn’t get more rain and snow.

Yep, time to start building some more of those environmentally friendly nuclear power plants.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well we dont need water for electricity, got plenty of power... what we need is something to drink.

we use the snowpack of the cascades to keep the resevoirs filled. we will have problems this year.

also, over half of the ski resorts of the north cascades never opened a single day this season. never had enough snow, wasnt even cold enough to run the snow machines.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And we up here in the Great Frozen North appear to have reverted to those "old fashioned" winters my grandparents used to complain about. The last 2 winters were brutal, especially the never-ending cold.

And it was very odd that last summer, or "summer," we never really had one. We *did* have record-setting rainfall and cold, including a brief snow in June and again in August. Folks around here are commenting along the lines of "global warming my a**!"

I can report for a fact that in stop-n-go driving conditions, which are very long due to the Snow Routing in effect from the blizzards, at -40, my Prius will deliver at worst 25 MPG U.S. gallon.

Under similar conditions, my 2000 GMC Sierra with 5.3 Vortec returned 4 MPG.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    jayman;

gotta remember that "global warming" seems to yield the same overall temperature worldwide. so what goes up here (temp) must go down elsewhere at an equal pace (you, or maybe the east coast)

most scientists agree that if global warming does happen with the force they predict that the weather on the east coast and midwest will be the most affected because of the altering of the gulfstream.

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The major indicator of climate change is ocean temperature, not air temperature. Air temperature is not uniform globally. There are always air temperature differences in equatorial, temperate, polar, maritime, alpine and continental climates.

Oceans are the major control on global climate and we are now quantitatively measuring significant long-term increases in ocean temperatures.

Climate change is "controversial" and a "debate" only by those in denial or who do not understand the nature of science The nature of science is to prove itself false, only accept what we cannot show to be false and to keep testing.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    does it seem normal to you that most of the world is warmer than normal in Jan?