1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moving back to FL, looking to Sell my Prius with HOV stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sbritt, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sbritt

sbritt New Member

I bought my Prius back in Sept last year as a company car when I work here in LA. I was going to drive it back to FL, or ship it, but since I read in the USA Today that the HOV stickers are transferable and I might be able to get my money back plus maybe alittle more , I am considering selling it.

The car is a 2006, Black, Package 8, loaded, tinted windows and side molding installed. It is a sweet ride. It as 4900 miles and I am taking it in this week for it's 5000 mile check up. I love this car, but I can always buy it again in Florida.

Just wondering what would be the best way to sell this car and maximum my return?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

[attachmentid=7112]

Attached Files:

2. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

Was watching the news last night and saw a piece on cars with HOV stickers. A dealer was quoting a premium of up to 4k for a car with these stickers. I have no idea if this is true or not but this is what came out of the dealers mouth when he was flapping his gums :)

Ken

3. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would NEVER pay a $4,000 premium just so I can drive by myself in the carpool lane for another 4 years. Cheaper, and more environmental friendly to take a bus.

4. juliem

juliem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(H2OSkier @ Mar 27 2007, 07:31 AM) [snapback]412917[/snapback]</div>
    They were talking about this on the radio yesterday as well. (KFOG/7am-ish). I only heard the news item, not the public responses, but wow! Steve, you should check out all your options before putting the car up for sale. Those stickers are obviously a valuable add-on.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is a sweet looking car! Black when clean is the slickest. The golden I have does better when dirty but never looks that slick... You tint makes me want to tint my windows too!

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was in Las Vegas this past week-end, and saw a Prius with Nevada plates, and California HOV stckers. I could see if the guy spends a lot of time in LA, but how do you get California stickers with Nevada plates?, unless he just moved to Nevada, and just left them on. Wierd.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The ironic thing is that the stickers on the pictured car are placed in the wrong spot.

8. MrU

MrU New Member

I am in the same boat. Moving this summer and will be selling my 2004, package 7, with 60k miles. I think the time is right to sell. With gas at $3.25, 45-50 mpg looks good. And I personally think the stickers are priceless. On average, my commute is 45-60 minutes less everyday. 200 hours a year that I am not in traffic is worth more than $4000, at least to me.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you could do a search for private sales of similar Prii with same model/package/mileage and then ask the high end or a little more. When you sell, make sure you advertise that this car has the HOV stickers. You've got people looking for a good, used Prius because gas is going up and you've got people looking for a car with HOV stickers now that there aren't any more. I think you'll find it easier to sell the car and easier to get a good price for it.

I really doubt the $4,000 premium the dealer was quoting. That may be what *he's* asking and he may not be getting it.

Still, the stickers do make your car worth more than a similar car.

Will you be buying another Prius when you get to Florida?

10. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For the record, $4000 is not unrealistic. Since we moved to Lake Tahoe, we sold our 2004 Pkg 9 with HOV stickers. We got a nearly $3K above KBB private seller excellent. I would say our car was better than good but not quite excellent. Our buyer had just got a new job and was facing a significant commute (both gas and time issues). By selling, we were able to upgrade to a 2007 with little out of pocket cost. The buyer called us to say how happy he was with the car. Win-win for everyone.

11. sbritt

sbritt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 27 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]413292[/snapback]</div>

Yes, depending on where my next project is, I will buy another Prius. I really love the car.

I am considering selling it if I can get a good price for it. I have not determined that price yet, but if I sell it, it will be in the next 3-4 weeks.

Here is my options that I can currently looking at:

ebay
    cars.com
    autotrader.com
    craigslist

I need to tarket the CA market.

12. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We used Craigslist. It's free and we found a buyer within the first week of the listing. Had about a dozen calls but only had one come to look. Took a test drive and he bought so it was a great seller experience.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've used ebay twice.

The first time I got double what I paid. (Bought 1960 Cadillac sedan de ville for $1500, sold three years later for $3,000)

The second time I tried both eBay and autotrader and couldn't sell my Saturn SC2 coupe. 9 years, 49,000 miles. My sister bought it for her son and loves the car.

I think if I tried it again I'd go with Craigslist.