1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

moving day, with a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sun__Tzu, May 21, 2004.

1. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

So has anyone moved a really heavy load with the Prius yet? I mean a completely packed Prius, where the back seat is down and every square inch you can manage is filled with stuff (like clothing and textbooks).

I'm considering checking CA dealerships, since some of my college stuff is still in storage there. The plan would be to move all that stuff with a cross-country Prius roadtrip. I'm wondering if the fuel economy will be crushed b/c of the heavy load (textbooks), and whether it would be cheaper to have it shipped.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd get an estimate on the shipping costs on the stuff you could carry, and determine how much gas you could buy with that. 600# of you and the stuff is about all you could carry.

Then see what distance that amount of gas plus what you were planning to spend already would take you if your average MPGs suddenly were cut in half. Half being very conservative, I hope.

If you still come out OK, with your original gas budget plus the shipping money's worth of gas getting you all the way there, take the stuff with you....