1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moving from Boston to Los Angeles Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bonanzoo, Jan 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    So I am relocating from Boston to Los Angeles and I will be driving my 2010 Prius 2 with 117k on it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is very well maintained and I am the second owner since 90k. Here are my questions.

1. Should I sell my Prius for a lower mileage one?

2. Moving from the cold New England to the hot and sunny SoCal degrade my battery faster because of the high temperatures?

3. Would it be wise to push my current Prius to its final moments or is that too risky and I should get rid of it before the 10yr/150k mile warranty runs up?

My options would be keeping my Prius or selling it to purchase one with lower mileage 2010-2013 around 30k-40k before the move. The reason why I need to make the decision before I move is that my brother has a dealer license and can purchase a Prius at the wholesale price. Being 3000 miles away, this is not possible.

I ask all my friends and family about their opinions on this but no one knows hybrids like the PriusChat community. Thank you all.

2. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to priuschat...

That's a choice only you can make.
    I purchased my 2010 just over four years ago & it had 100k on it when purchased. In the last 4 years I added another 132k for a grand total of 232k now. I had to replace the traction battery around 136k, maybe around 160k it stranded me when the IPM module failed but Toyota covered that failure 100%. Still on original brakes!

Your Prius shouldn't care where it lives as long as it gets regular oil changes & coolant changes/spark plugs around 120k. Really should look into changing the transmission oil at least once, then at 60-100k if you choose.

If you can afford it, a newer low mileage vehicle is always the best bet. Eventually it will start using oil, more so at high speeds - but oil is cheap compared to a new vehicle!

If it has been well maintained & has not given you any major problems, I see no reason to not expect another 100k or more out of it.
    Best of luck on your move!

bonanzoo likes this.
  3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm doubting that SoCal temperatures will be harder on your battery than New England unless you are in the desert, far inland. Night-time summer temperatures on the West Coast are generally lower than on the East Coast, so your battery gets to cool off at least some of the time, and winter time temps are nothing to worry about anyway. Our 2007 spent most of its life in SoCal, and now has 254K on the original battery.

bonanzoo likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i suspect selling your prius after you get to cali would be the most profitable move. the question is how to get the new one from here to there.
    btw, i'm jealous.:notworthy:

bonanzoo, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

New Years resolution time:).

Isn’t moving on the list:whistle:.

bonanzoo and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would i want to leave -1 degree bliss?:rolleyes:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Called my parents who were out here last week and it was 0F there this morning:eek:.

Worked outside in the yard today in 63 F splendor (y).

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't get the inside of my house up to 63 degrees.:mad:

kc410 and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1. When it fails, yes. Until then, a car you own is cheaper than a car you buy.

2. Heat has more to do with going up an down mountains; the conversion from electricity to chemistry is not perfect. if you live on a mountain top near Los Angeles, I would worry more. (Wrightwood, Idylwild ) If you travel with large furry creatures (often dogs) it will be worth while to clean the vent fan.

3. At some future date, you current car will be costing more a month than new car payments, ditch it then. The cost may be money, or lost time. Be ruthless then.

#9 JimboPalmer, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    bonanzoo and davecook89t like this.
  10. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    That is awesome your Prius is at 232k! If I do end up keeping mine, I can only hope for the same.
    Is the IPM module covered for all gen 3's? I heard that this is common and a notice was sent out to all the owners but I just purchased mine March 2017. If it is covered I will just put $ aside for the traction battery for when that day comes.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Yes, that is exactly what my parents told me. They said the Prius will have much higher there. I could ship a Prius from here to there for $1150 but I do not know if that will be worth it rather than purchasing one in LA.

bisco likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A new battery would run around $2500. What's the difference you're looking at by selling and getting a lower mileage one?

You'll probably not want to drive anymore after you get a taste of Los Angeles traffic, so maybe holding off would be a good idea

bonanzoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You could maintain the traction battery for less than replacing it;).

Search the threads here for Prolong or Hybrid Automotive:).

Good luck to the summer move(y).

bonanzoo and JC91006 like this.
  14. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I can get a 2012 Prius 2 with 36k miles for only $9500. I could sell mine for $7000 and pay $2500 more for something with way lower miles. I just didn't know if it's worth just buying a new battery when that time comes or to push out the inevitable. Basically, is $2500 worth a new battery that will last 100k more miles or to buy a "newer" Prius with 100k less miles.

I lived in LA in Summer 2016 but I drove a 2014 BMW 428i and the gas mileage was the worst in traffic. I was averaging 20mpg running on premium, wasn't too nice on the wallet. This move will be my last and permanent move, so a reliable car that will last for 5-10 years is very important to me. Again, thank you for everyones input and experience. It has helped a ton.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2012 with 36k miles is really low. Maybe it's been turned back?

The problem with giving up 1 used car for another is the unknown on the new used car. You could be giving up a perfect car for a lemon with lower miles.

If you need it for another 5 to 10 years, going to the 36k miles would make sense.....

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he gets them wholesale from his brother.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Californie is the place you oughtta be...with a Prime Plug-in, if that's your cup of tea. Free HOV.

bisco likes this.
  18. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I was also considering that as well. It would be really nice. I will be commuting 20 miles from Van Nuys to LAX Mon-Fri so the traffic is going to be a killer. The HOV sticker would save me at least a few hours per week.

19. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    What is everyone's thoughts on a Prius C? I hear they get better city mileage which is the same as bumper to bumper traffic.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice car, very small, slightly better mileage. are you finding a good deal on one? probably going the way of the horse and buggy, based on sales.

bonanzoo likes this.