1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moving hybrid plate from one Prius to the other

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by HTMLSpinnr, Apr 22, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sharing this MVD response for those who may be in a similar situation. As many of you know, AZ is no longer issuing hybrid plates (they've reached their limit). In addition, I have probably one of the best sequences in the state (01L N00 - looks like "OIL NOO"), and really didn't want to give it up. My wife is getting our 2004 once the 2010 arrives, however the 2004 is the one w/ the hybrid plates. Given my wife doesn't do freeways unless someone's life depends on it, it makes more sense to transfer the plate to my new car, which does see HOV lane use from time to time.

For those not familiar w/ AZ's plate rules, the plates stay w/ the owner when the vehicle is sold or transferred, and can either be surrendered after the sale for a refund on what's left of the registration (minus a fee), or applied to a new car (and the registration difference paid).

My Question:
    I have two Toyota Prius vehicles, a 2002 Prius w/ std plates and a 2004 Prius w/ Hybrid plates. I will be selling or trading in the 2002 Prius and purchasing a 2010 Prius which will also qualify for the special plates sometime in May. I wish to transfer the 2004 Prius Hybrid plate to the 2010 Prius and put standard plates on the 2004 Prius at or right after the time of purchase of the new vehicle. What is the best way to go about getting standard plates for the 2004 Prius I will be keeping and transferring my Hybrid plates from the 2004 to the 2010 Prius? For the record, I still have the original plates originally assigned to the 2004 Prius - are they reusable with new tags in this scenario?
    ADOT Response:
    ... You can go to any MVD office and they will do this for you. They can put your old plate back on the 2004 prius (or you can get a new one). There may be a charge to do this depending on the fees you paid and the registration cycle of the vehicle. After you buy the new Prius, tell the dealer the Hybrid plate number and they can put it on the paperwork, then MVD will put that plate on the new vehicle and give you the discount fees due. Thank you.
    Glad to know it's easier than first suspected.

2. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As a follow-up, I did this today. Between the plate swap and retitling the car from CA to AZ (TFS sent a CA title when I paid off), took about 10-15 min at the counter. Used my old plate and the lady printed a tag right there. $12 total. Bummer was it was 10-15 minutes outside just to get a number, then 15-20 minutes inside. Chatted w/ a guy who had a TDI while I waited though.

It was recommended I keep the old registration for the hybrid plate to prove ownership. It'll go on the 2010 next week (covered by a paper temp tag).

3. Chat

Chat New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice, I heard they were going to make this possible.

4. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So, 30 minutes max total? Some New Yorkers (especially those on LI) are going to be very jealous.

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    45-50 min total. 15 min outside, 15-20 min waiting inside, 10-15 min at the desk being processed.

6. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds more like a typical DMV experience :rolleyes:

7. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Question on the hybrid plate

Are they issuing them again? On the Service Arizona site, they still offer it.

8. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't believe so... which is why I hung onto my original one.

9. sundevil

sundevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just traded in my Civic Hybrid for a new Prius. I kept my HOV plates and am waiting for the new stickers to arrive. Hope the dealer did everything correctly and the plate swap goes smoothly - it saves me around an hour of driving every work day.

10. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why will the plate save you time driving? If you're driving a hybrid, you can use the HOV lane, no?:confused:

11. sundevil

sundevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless you have a hybrid plate (or alternative fuel plate?) you cannot drive in the HOV lane with only yourself in the vehicle.

12. Jayhawker

Jayhawker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Question on the hybrid plate

I think they quit issuing them out last year. I was so tempted to get rid of my Civic earlier this year when gas was at it's cheapest then every morning (Gilbert to 24th and 10) while I was cruising into work in the HOV it became apparent to me it wasn't worth it as it was (and still is) saving me any where from 15 to 40 minutes of driving time per day.

13. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, they spent million, if not billions, of $$'s upgrading the 101 and other local highways for HOV lanes to encourage their use, yet won't issue any more alternative fuel/hybrid plates? What, they have an arbitrary quota of how many of these plates they could issue? Two or more passengers in a car will not help the energy situation or environment more than a hybrid alone will.

It just defies the imagination as to how stupid the State and the D.O.T. can get.:eek:

14. Jayhawker

Jayhawker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya but it's kind of nice not having every Prius, Insight and Civic driving in the HOV lanes. I will say that if they decided to take away the HOV lane luse to those with the blue plates I would not be owning a hybrid.

The only other bad thing is when you get behind a hybrid and they maximizing fuel...they won't get out of the lane to let you pass. I am aware the blue plates don't give one the right to speed, but they also don't give one the right to hold up a bunch of cars because they want to conserve fuel.

15. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just because a hybrid owner has a blue plate doesn't mean he or she will not hold up the line of cars behind while going relatively slow in that lane.

I think the hybrid not the plate should give one the right to use the HOV lane. Also, as I predicted there are a lot of cheaters using the lane (you know, the law doesn't apply to THEM).

16. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Unless you have a hybrid plate (or alternative fuel plate?) you cannot drive in the HOV lane with only yourself in the vehicle."

This is not true according to a phone call my wife just made to the AZ. MVD. (I posted this separately.) According to them, the blue plates were limited, as we all know, and either two or more passengers in the car or an alternative fuel vehicle like a hybride qualities you to use the HOV lane during the restricted hours.

I want to verify this phone call information though:confused:.

CORRECTION: THE PHONE PERSON earlier today WAS WRONG. YOU NEED THE BLUE PLATE TO DRIVE IN THE HOV LANE ALONE OR YOU'LL BE IN VIOLATION.