1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moving on up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jrfaris, Mar 1, 2007.

1. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, now that we are both retired, my wife and I plan to spend the next few years living at Lake Tahoe. Since we no longer need the HOV stickers we used while living in Menlo Park, CA we decided to sell our 2004 Salsa Red Prius to someone who can use them. That puts us in the market for a 2007 Barcelona Red replacement. Unfortunately we may have missed the substantial price breaks that were available last month. If anyone has any information on Toytoa dealers in the Carson City or Reno area that they care to share, we would appreciate it. We are also considering purchase from a California dealer and taking delivery in Nevada. One dealer that does this is in Auburn, CA but I'm sure there are others. Since our residence is in Nevada we need to register the new CarMyne there. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did the opposite. I bought a new car (not Prius) in Nevada and registered it in California. Even though it was California smog legal, I had a big hassle with paperwork. Even though I called the DMV and AAA ahead of time, and asked for advice, it took over a month to process the paperwork, and I got charged over $100 for being "late" to register it. I started the same day I arrived back in California. After starting the paperwork process, my local DMV was torn down for remodeling, and I guess they lost the paperwork, but they acted like it was my fault. Long story short: I would sell the Prius here to someone looking for HOV stickers, even a dealer, and just buy the car in Nevada. You should not be liable for tax or registration, until you register the car in whatever state you maintain an address, even on a new car, but why complicate your life? The model Subaru I wanted were "sold out" in California, and I just happened to find one in Las Vegas the day my old car broke down. Good luck, however it goes.