1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moving to LA?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Oxo, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A young couple called Beckham are leaving Europe to live in Los Angeles where it is reported he will be paid several $$million to play football.
    In today's London Guardian there is a feature article under the title LA SURVIVAL GUIDE in which one Gareth McLean gives advice, including "what to drive".
    "Make sure you drive a hybrid," advises McLean. He then goes on to tell them that they will be tempted to get a large car such as a Cadillac Escalade or a Lincoln Navigator. That would be a mistake, he says. "The only kind of car that is socially acceptable is a hybrid." He adds that he visited an ex-model in Santa Monica. She had two cars - a new BMW X5 and a Prius. He looked at the BMW and said, "Nice wheels!"
    "Are you kidding?" says the girl. "I drive the Prius. The BMW is the maid's."

2. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 16 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]376347[/snapback]</div>
    The maid is getting paid too much. As for the "what to drive", I don't think that soccer is really going to have the political correctness to necessitate driving a hybrid. I also don't think that sports figures typically drive "green" cars. I think they drive Escalades and Navigators and I think that GM and Lincoln pay them to do so.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ;) I would say they will drive whatever they please. Also note that many very high income Los Angeles folks choose to drive Prius - such as Movie actors. Although their incomes are huge, they are attuned to environmental responsibility - thus the choice to drive the least-polluting vehicle widely available in the "Colonies." Whatever their choice, they will be very pleased with the cost/gallon of petrol.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Jan 16 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]376362[/snapback]</div>

She probably does a lot more useful work than the "ex-model". Or maybe not. We weren't told if the ex-model has a job.

6. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Jan 16 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]376362[/snapback]</div>

She probably does a lot more useful work than the "ex-model". Or maybe not. We weren't told if the ex-model has a job.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 16 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]376347[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure they'll adapt soon enough haha.

8. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 17 2007, 01:34 AM) [snapback]376684[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct, the maid probably does do more useful work than the "ex-model". And who am I to judge whether or not a maid should be driving a $50,000 car. I feel a bit foolish now.

9. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I think part of Santa Monica's living wage law requires maids to be paid enough to drive a BMW, if not their self-esteem may be affected!