1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mozilla Firefox 1.5 Release Candidate 3

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For those of you who love Firefox . . . it only gets better!
    For those of you who don't know . . . why are you still driving that Microsoft Pinto browser? . . . it's not safe!!! :eek:

I have been exclusively using FF 1.5 since RC 2 (over two weeks) . All joy. It even informed me and automatically installed the upgrade to RC 3 before I knew it was available.

I don’t think there is any reason to wait for the final 1.5 version . . . this one will do the incremental update automatically if/when needed.

Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5 RC 3:
    * Automated update
    * Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance.
    * Improvements to popup blocking.
    * Clear Private Data feature provides an easy way to quickly remove personal data
    * Improvements to product usability including descriptive error pages, redesigned options menu, RSS discovery, and "Safe Mode" experience.
    * Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater) including profile migration from Safari and Mac Internet Explorer.
    * New support for Web Standards including SVG, CSS 2 and CSS 3, and JavaScript 1.6.
    * Many security enhancements.

This would be a good time to do a clean install!!!!
    Download FF1.5 to your desktop
    Remove old Firefox from your computer (bookmarks an other setting are kept in a separate location, but don’t blame me if you don’t do a back-up first!)
    Install FF1.5
    Enjoy! Especially the blazing fast forward and back buttons.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aw man! I just installed 1.07 for my parents. Now I gotta go get a new one. Sheesh! :p

Gonna have to take a look. Thx for the heads up.

3. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've been running on the developer builds since waay before 1.1 was scrapped in favor of jumping straight to 1.5. Let me tell you, if you thought Firefox 1.0 was good, 1.5 is icing on the cake.

I personally had a hand in the error page redesign which lets us get rid of most error dialog boxes, so I hope you enjoy those. The super-fast forward/back browsing is another great enhancement, but one of my favorite new features and one that's least advertised:

Native support (i.e. no 3rd-party extension required) for drag-and-drop reordering of the tabs.

Definitely upgrade to 1.5 -- why anyone would continue to use IE willingly is beyond me. Also to the Mac users, I hear the Java support is better in this version for you.

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Firefox, but I will tell you that I still have to use MSIE to see some things. There is another forum I go to for car audio. I posted there recently and when I went to look at the post, it was not there. I refreshed and still nothing. I changed the forums properties to show all posts, not just the most recent. And there it was. But later when I came back it was gone again. Even after changing the properties to show all posts, it showed only 2, but according to the forum there should have been 6 posts. Nothing I did would show the posts. So I opened IE and went to the same forum. There it was along with all the other posts. Very strange. I wonder how many things I miss by using Firefox?

I just went and checked the post again with Firefox and can see all the posts.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Firefox click on the Help drop-down menu. Then click on the "For Internet Explorer Users". You can view IE-only pages in Firefox.

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How is that "Help" supposed to help? It was not that I was doing anything wrong when I tried to view that page. It just would not show with Firefox but did with IE. It did show fine yesterday when I tried again.

7. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like the site designers were lazy and didn't test the compatibility of their site. MS is notorious for their "extensions" to W3C standards. IE is loaded with "features" that are not W3C compliant. As a result they don't work properly/at all in other browsers. FireFox seems to be the most strict about W3C standards implementations. If you're developing in IE that can catch you off guard.

8. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My motto is to develop webpages toward FireFox, then adapt the code to make it work in IE as well. That helps enforce good Section 508 accessible code, maintain W3C standards, and still reach the 90 percent of Internet users who still use IE.

9. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a good strategy. It's too bad that more people aren't jumping over to FF. Is IE market share still 90%. Uuugh.

10. jchu

jchu New Member

The only time I use IE anymore is to:

1) read my personal e-mail at work. For some reason, cannot access it at work through Firefox. ("The connection was refused when attempting to contact webauth.att.net") For the longest time had the same problem with PriusChat at work and then it just went away. Most everything else I do at work on the internet works just fine with FF.

2) Windows Updates at home on my home laptop.

That is it. no problems either with malware... so far