1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MP3 and WMA in 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bredekamp, Apr 27, 2007.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all,

If all goes well I'll be taking delivery of my white 2006 on Friday.It's a demo with 30,000km on the ODO. It has the radio/CD unit that says "MP3/WMA" on it. I want to make some discs so long that I can listen to when I pick it up. How do you guys make WMA/MP3 discs for Prius?

I first rip tracks from CD using windows Media Player to WMA files at 192kbps. I then burn albums to CD in Windows Media Player using the "Burn" feature. WMP ads a playlist to the disc in WPL format. How must I organise my tracks on discs for Prius to play back in the right order, or can it read the playlist that WMP placed on the disc.

Thanks

PS I use Windows Media Player 11. How bout some shots of menus on the MFD once a WMA/MP3 disc is inserted.

#I own all the original CDs I rip from# :p

(edit) I see there is a thread with some info. I would like some specific advice w.r.t Windows Media Player and WMA though...

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14205&hl=WMA

(edit2) Had a good look at the file structure of one of the discs I made. WMP creates a folder in the root of the CD called MUSIC along with a .wpl file. The Music folder contains folders for each artist on the disc ex. Artist 1, Artist 2 etc. Each Artist folder contains a folder for each album from that artist. So, it looks like the folder structure is:

d:/Music/artist1/album1/song.wma

Is this folder structure too deep for Prius??

[attachmentid=7699]

[attachmentid=7700]

[attachmentid=7701]

[attachmentid=7702]

According to:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...&hl=burn+cd

it should be OK. I'll post a HOWTO on my website under "Prius tips and tricks" as soon as I can test.

Attached Files:

2. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Apr 27 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]431326[/snapback]</div>
    I just run my music CDs thru EAC (exact audio copy) and get a collection of 120 to 150 songs (somewhere around a CD full) and use Nero to burn to CD as data (mp3) files. Shove the CD into the player, and it works.

3. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Apr 28 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]431781[/snapback]</div>
    Why not buy an iPod and put ALL your music on it and play it thru the aux in jack or better yet buy a Dice or Vais Tech so u can integrate controls on the steering wheel? CD's are such a thing of the past really.

4. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Apr 28 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]431781[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I'm a fan of internet radio, (shoutcast) and I use a free program called 'castripper' to DL KJAZ as an mp3 stream about 14-16 hours at a time then burn the file to CD. Any burner will do, I use Nero. The sound quality is excellent in a car environment and long enough that it's just like listening to the streaming music because the player remembers where you are on the disc. I can also fit about 15 albums on a single CD in MP3Pro format, which is much higher quality. So, with the 6 disc changer, I have as much music as I could want. Or, I could plug my PPC6700 into the Aux port and really stream music live over the phones' internet connection. (www.thestreamcenter.com is your friend)
    The system says it supports playlists, but I haven't tried that yet.
    I love this car! :)

5. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 29 2007, 01:21 AM) [snapback]431861[/snapback]</div>
    I would love an iPod, but iTunes is not available in SA.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Apr 28 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]431781[/snapback]</div>
    So I'm actually making a bigger deal of it than it really is. :rolleyes:

6. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Update:

I used Windows Media Player 11 and ripped at 320kbps to MP3 files. Then I simply burned the folders created under c:\My Documents\My Music to CD. I used Nero and used the "Data CD" option. Works beautifully. Here follows some screenshots:

Attached Files:

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 28 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]431861[/snapback]</div>
    I do use my iPod alot (plugged into the aux jack), but, especially after hearing about some problems with the DICE unit, I don't want to go that route. The advantage of putting MP3s on discs and playing them in the CD player is that you can use the MFD to read folders/files. Having a 6-disc changer is like having a 60-disc changer if you convert them to MP3s.

8. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use a free program called Cdex to rip my CD's then use AShampoo burning studio 6 to burn the mp3's to CD.

Wish my Prius CD player played mp3's. I am hoping someone makes an after market CD player that will work in the Prius with mp3 capability.

9. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 6 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]436435[/snapback]</div>
    It is if you assume a CD-R disc has a capacity of 700 MB and an MP3 encoding rate of 128 kilobytes per second (kbps) which is about one megabyte per minute. Should a higher encoding rate be used, the capacity goes down. For example, using an encoding rate of 320 kbps allows putting about four CDs worth of music on one CD-R disc in MP3 form.

10. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 6 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]436435[/snapback]</div>
    Get a Vais SLI I don't have any probs with that unit.

11. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spideyman @ May 7 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]437049[/snapback]</div>
    What? My '07 CD Player says MP3 right on it. Why did you think it wouldn't play them?

Here's why I use a CD instead of IPod. You can leave a long mp3 cd in the player, and it is ready to go. No pulling out the unit and plugging it in, worrying about battery life, scrolling on small screen, etc. I agree that CD's are going out, but what the cars need is a built-in hard drive for music. Get that, and the CDs can go...

12. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ May 8 2007, 03:06 AM) [snapback]437207[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. I would have liked a USB port on the dash for transfering songs from flashstick. How bout making a direct wireless network connection to your Prius from your Windows PC and editing the music direct on the cars internal hard disk. One can even have an option for adding wallpapers and personalised splashscreens to your MFD. That'll be cool....

13. indiepants

indiepants New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ May 8 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]437746[/snapback]</div>
    YES! Now that I have a built-in AUX jack, I want a USB port too, heh.

This is the solution I'm looking forward to getting:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Harman_Kardon_Driv...7-32431899.html

It works with ipods, zunes, and any other USB storage devices. Best thing is-- IT WORKS WHILE THE CAR IS MOVING! I can't wait for it to come out. I've got a version 1 on the way that isn't quite as splashy and only works with ipods, but is still a step up from the current ipod-to-prius solutions (imho).