1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MP3 player - non-Ipod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Birdums, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is there a simple solution to hook up my MP3 player (Toshiba gigabeat) so I can control it with the MFD or steering wheel controls? I would just like to be able to skip a song once in a while without risking an accident.

2. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    And I thought I was the only person in the world who bought something other than an ipod...

I just assumed this would not be possible. It's just as easy for me to advance a track on my mp3 player (Sony) as it would be to use the MFD. I'm actually finding that I don't use the mp3 so much in the Prius, because sound is better with CDs. (My old car had a tape deck(!) and no CD player so I used to listen to the mp3 player exclusively when driving.)

3. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When it comes to that sort of stuff, it's an ipod world, so I don't think you are going to be able to find anything to control the gigabeat using the MFD or steering wheel controls.

The forthcomming Harmon Kardon Drive + Play 2 looks like it is going to break the trend because it works with more than just ipods, but it has it's own control and display. Unfortunatly it looks like it will be pretty expensive.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

Your simplest solution for just skipping songs is just to mount your gigabeat somewhere and learn to hit the track skip button by feel.

4. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nybiker @ Jun 12 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]460335[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it made no sense to me to pay more for a 4G Ipod than a 40G 'other brand'. The Prius situation is my first inconvenience. I still wouldn't pay for an Ipod.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Jun 12 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]460341[/snapback]</div>
    With the aux cable in the console, how can I mount the gigabeat? I can't close the console with the cable coming out the top. :huh:

5. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You me and da Pri @ Jun 12 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]460502[/snapback]</div>
    My console cover closes with the cable coming out over the side. I sometimes mount my Pioneer Inno XM radio on the dashboard air vent with the cable going into the console. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.