1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MP3 song list blacks out while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ystasino, May 5, 2007.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can this be changed? and how? Are there any other similar patronizing ideas Toyota has in store for a new 07 owner?

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 5 2007, 03:03 AM) [snapback]435936[/snapback]</div>

Pre-'06 Priuses (Prii?) had a hidden menu item that allowed you to do what is referred to as a "Nav override". As I understand it, this allowed those folks with Nav systems to defeat the lockout of input to the Nav System while the car was in motion. Another side effect of this was that it allowed the display of MP3 ID tags and folder information while the car was in motion and the Audio display was up during MP3 or WMA CD play.

To date, no-one has apparently found a similar menu item for the '06 forward cars. I have been checking here occasionally to see if someone has discovered it, and while there is lots of buzz about different ways to do a "Nav override", none of them appear to apply to the MP3/WMA CD issue.

If you figure it out, let me know :(

= Ed =

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Gonzo said, the answer is NO.

Toyota apparently wants to avoid giving the driver any distractions to read while in motion, so you can't look inside folders for mp3 titles.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 5 2007, 04:03 AM) [snapback]435936[/snapback]</div>
    After 2 month of ownership I never realized that was the reason the track list blanks out. I guess I never thought of it being anything but the cd, is this also why the FM radio sometimes shows what is playing and sometimes doesnt? I always assumed that was related to poor DJ work ethic or being out of range for their data feed.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gonzo @ May 29 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]451504[/snapback]</div>
    The Pre '06 Prius didn't have the MP3 capability, so that isn't quite true. It took care of the NAV, plus if you had any POI registered, you could touch it and be able to place a call (if the POI had a phone number).

One method is to cut the purple Speed Sensor Wire and install a switch. When switched to OFF, the car will think it's stopped and you'll see the information. Switch back to ON when done. This wire sends the signal for the 5-minute bars on the Consumption Screen (as well as the turning wheels of the Energy Screen) so you can lose some date if off too long. A short time won't effect it.

If your Prius has BT, this will override that too, so you'll have full access to the phone book.