1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG Advisory for New Owners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RobertO, Sep 10, 2004.

1. RobertO

RobertO New Member

It's been a while since we had cooler seasonal temps.

Those of us who live in Northern climes and took delivery in October/November of last year were sorely disappointed in our MPG.

The Laws of Physics, not Toyota are to blame.

You will see lower MPG as the temperatures go down. Your MPG will decline into the mid to high 30's.

Don't be alarmed. ANY internal combustion engine will show lower MPG in colder weather, not just the Prius.

Take heart in the knowledge that those big V8's and V6's will be slogging around at 8 to 14 MPG (no kidding) this winter while you're limping along in the mid to upper 30's or better. And, if your Prius has VSC, you'll get to play in the snow a little. VSC actually works.

Then, when spring comes and that first 70-degree day shows up, you'll be ecstatic to once again see MPG in the mid to high 40's, even better next summer.

2. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

Do you have any details as to what MPG impact takes place at what temperature? Having only owned my Prius since June, I have not experienced much in the way of temperature variations.

Here in Portland, the winter temps average around the low to mid 40’s, and I was wondering what impact those in the PNW have experienced. Of course, the continuous winter drizzle will probably not be kind to my current 52 MPG average.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Low 40's for temperature would be sweet!

It is below freezing the entire months of December, January, and February here in Minnesota (as much as 55 degrees colder at times, in fact). Despite that and the fact that I use E10 for fuel (which is less efficient that 100% gas), I still don't ever see MPG in the 30's. So I disagree with the claim about what to expect. I'd say "around 40 MPG" instead.

Here's my actual data...

[Broken External Image]:http://john1701a.com/prius/images/Prius-2004_Month-MPG-Average_Graph_Year-1.gif

...and there's 3 years of data for my 2001 Prius available on my website too.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No January thaw? For some reason I can not explain, we ALWAYS go above freezing ONCE for a day or 2 (day time) in January. Usually the 2nd or 3rd week but it can be any time.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I picked up my car Oct. 21, 2003 so have a graph of my mileage that first fall and winter as well.

I don't know if you need to subscribe to Greenhybrid.com or not to see the graph and my data or not, but Here's The Link

I'll also try to post the graph below.

6. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Not the last two winters in Vermont.

7. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

That is assuming that you can deal with 5 consecutive months of mostly drizzle
    (with 30+ days of rain in a row not uncommon).

With three years of detailed records from my last non-hybrid car, I have not found any winter MPG decline driving in here in the Portland area. Hopefully, our rather mild winter temperatures will be kind to my MPG.

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey what is the heck is E10 fuel?

9. jchu

jchu New Member

10% Ethanol. Burns cleaner but provides slightly less power. My wife insists on it to further reduce tailpipe emissions!!!

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK here is the solution. For every summer gallon you fill up with you fill a gas can or cans of the same size. I would suggest gas stabilizer for long term storage and during the winter you fill up with summer gas. Would this work?!

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    jchu??

you guys have a choice whether you get ethanol??

must be nice...been required here for years.

and henry... saving summer gas is not advised as some summer formulas will freeze at 40º F...

12. jchu

jchu New Member

There is a local Sinclair franchise that goes by the name of Stinker's that only carries 10% ethanol blends.

13. jchu

jchu New Member

And that is all year long!!!

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe not in Stowe Lew, you have to come to the tropics, ie Burlington!

Data from January 2004:
    DY MAX MIN AVG
    ===========
    1 36 21 29
    2 36 19 28
    3 45 34 40
    4 46 27 37

Of course it was -20 for a min on the 15th :)

15. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"39049)</div>
    Actually, now I remember that you are in a different climate zone. Last year, in the middle of November (what some Vermonters would recognize as Opening Day) I remember cross-country skiing in a couple of feet of snow in the morning and then driving over to Burlington where there was no snow on the ground at all.

This past winter we didn't have a January thaw or a February thaw.

And we have cheaper gasoline.

16. CHART

CHART Member

Here are some results from the DC area. Having bought the car in December 2003, I'm not sure how much of my earlier averages was related to temperature and how much was related to new, un-broken-in car. I'm very happy with the results so far.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh Mann. My MPG are going up I am going to have to go into therapy this winter. Will lights help?? I think I have SAD this might make that worse. If Belle does not get 55.... well I don't know what.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lights?

you mean you are suffering from depression brought on by reduced exposure to natural sunlight?

that has been cited as a problem suffered by a percentage of the population in the Pac northwest.

but cant you just sit under a grow light for an hour a day for that? or was that to grow hair on your head?

19. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is anybody know whats different between winter gas and summer gas?
    Will effect to mpg???
    When I was living in mid-west / mid-atlantic, I notice during winter mpg drop quit bit
    I uses to own VW GTi 1.8T :mrgreen:

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wintergas has components added to reduce the freezing point of the gasoline. its basically like putting antifreeze (no its not ethylene glycol!) in the gas...it doesnt burn, it just keeps the gas from freezing.

realize that some summer formulas of gasoline freeze at as high as 40º F which is way too high for nearly every part of the country even places that rarely get snow.