1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG attained by a "non-trained" Prius driver

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Aegison, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My son borrowed my 2010 Prius and put 480 miles on it ... some highway, some city streets including some stop-and-go rush hour traffic.

He has driven the car for a short distance before, but has never learned any "hyper-miling" techniques. So, he drove it just as he would drive his car -- standard Detroit metal ( for example, not coasting up to stopped traffic vs keeping the speed up and then having to use the brakes more). And, of course, he put it in "power" mode.

He started on a full tank, and filled it back up afterwards.

The calculations based on actual miles driven and fill-up gallons say he got 51.2 mpg overall during his drive (which could in reality vary somewhat by the inevitable differences in how full one gets the gas tank).

To me, this emphasized that a buyer can get outstanding mileage out of the Prius even when not schooled in the mpg-extending measures.

1 person likes this.
  2. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That does heavily depend on your location, and conditions...but an awesome story nonetheless

3. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, better than I do after nearly a year.
    Depending upon conditions, as del says.

4. dcscm1

dcscm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great input. We've found this to be true too. My wife drives the Prius as a regular car too and gets over 50mpg average.

Even so, my hypermiling techniques get about 10% better gas mileage. So, when I loan her my Prius, I know full well that she'll be pulling the mpg numbers down. Alas, love trumps mpg.

1 person likes this.