1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG Boost After 12V Battery Replacement? I Think So!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Prius_Cub, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After getting my old battery replaced, here is my average so far, granted, its only been 40 miles since the battery has been replaced as of earlier today, but...57.5 MPG after 43 miles. Can't wait to see how the next full tank is going to turn out. I love my Prius more and more every day!

Attached Files:

That_Prius_Car likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool! what was it before?

That_Prius_Car likes this.
  3. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I generally average around 47-49 MPG driving to/from work or long distance trips on the highway.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    beautiful, that's a big increase! what kind of battery did you get?

Prius_Cub likes this.
  5. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Stock from Toyota, I just bought my Prius around the middle of February and I still had a warranty on the battery. Free, but when this one goes, I'll be getting something different. :)

6. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Can't beat free! Way to go.

Prius_Cub likes this.
  7. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks :) I'm excited to see how big of an improvement I get after the replacement. :D

8. fentos

fentos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice. Did you have warning signs that your battery was going bad or did you just check the voltage? I'm in the process of trying to track down a recent drop in mpg's and am thinking the battery might be the culprit. Did you install yourself or let the dealer do it?

Also, see you are in Radford. I live over in C'burg! Nice to see another local on the forum!

9. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    fentos, I had indicators for the brakes, vsc and such so I figured I'd test the voltage, but those have been occuring on/off and I strongly suspect it happens if I leave my bluetooth OBD adapter plugged in while shutting down for a few minutes and powering back on but my voltage was fairly low and showed it was always trying to charge the original battery while running. Got the dealership to replace it in warranty as I had just got it from them just shy of 60 days prior to when I found out about the health of the battery.

Well howdy neighbor! I'm surprised their aren't many more NRV locals than the very few I've seen on here so far.

10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 12V battery problem reports here are very numerous. I just found that my trickle charger had stopped putting out, and that caused my battery to go way down. (My car is parked for long periods.) I was wondering what was going on, as the MPG had taken a hit. The ICE ran more than usual. After I found the problem, and charged the battery completely, all was back to normal. The GenII hybrid control ECU really puts a high priority in getting the 12V battery charged, but it can take a long time to do so if it is flat. So the result is that the car can be surprisingly crippled by that.

11. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was messing around with the torque app and if the 12V is low, the engine will run for a long time at surprisingly high load (~15%) instead of consistently shutting off like it would w/o a bad battery.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The charging system on the Prius can and does put in excess of a 700 watt load on the HV battery if the 12 volt battery is partly discharged.

John (Britprius)