1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG-CAP pills

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brad34695, Apr 10, 2007.

1. brad34695

brad34695 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone heard of MPG-CAP pills that supposivly give you 15-20% better gas mileage in your car? The EPA has approved them in the sense that they won't damage your car, but has not tested these pills to see if they actually work. Has anyone tried them? While I love averaging 52 MPG here in the Tampa Bay area, if I can boost that even more, that's ever better for me and the enviroment, and less for OPEC.

Also, has anyone tried nitrogen in their tires? I heard about that, but I've heard many skeptics shooting down that idea. I thank everyone in advance for their thoughts and replies. Below is a link to Fuel Freedom International (FFI) who manufactures and sells these MPG-CAP pills.

Brad Messick
    Safety Harbor Florida

http://www.nowsavefuel.myffi.biz/en/

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I didn't check the link. Is it from the same company that guarantees 15-20% "male enhancement" through a pill? :)

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

3. brad34695

brad34695 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Jim,

Thanks for the sarcastic answer. I am asking a legimiate question. Here is a youtube link on a NBC News story regarding these pills.

Brad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1qk0RsZZmU

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 10 2007, 07:13 AM) [snapback]420717[/snapback]</div>

4. kiwiruss

kiwiruss New Member

Interesting Product.
    I dont think i'll risk it in my new Prius though. they also didnt give any price info to say if its cost effective.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brad34695 @ Apr 10 2007, 08:18 AM) [snapback]420718[/snapback]</div>
    I know you are. I'm just making the point (with an admittedly twisted attempt at humor -- no offense intended) that automotive snake oil is commonplace. If something like this really worked as advertised, I suspect we'd hear about it from sources other than YouTube.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The most common explanation for observed success of fuel-saving additives and accesories is that the driver changes behavior. You might consciously try out the 'hypermiling' tricks here instead, but I think you'll probably be the pioneer in using these capsules in Prius.

It would not be difficult to install some thermocouples outside the Prius' exhaust manifold and quantitatively test the FFI claim of reduced exhaust temperatures.

Nitrogen in tires will have more consistent pressures across a range of ambient temperatures, especially compared to situations where the compressed air was especially humid. The same results can be obtained by more frequently checking your tire air pressures. Checking brings an added benefit of getting the driver to actually look at the tires, and noticing any small damage that might make the subsequent drive unsafe.

It is your car and your decisions to make. I can't help mentioning that we have not heard much lately about last year's craze; adding acetone to gasoline.

7. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm going to have to agree with JimboK. These pills would probably work just as well as the fuel line magnets and the "tornado" thing, which have been proven to do nothing but remove money from your wallet at the time of purchase.

I don't know enough to have an opinion on the nitrogen in the tires part. I personally haven't tried it.

8. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I checked the link. It is snake oil. No doubt.

9. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Jerry Lang has extensively tested it and has proven it to work. well that is what he said.

They are claiming it to be a catalyst that helps to completely burn all the fuel in the cylinder. They say that if you take the exhaust manifold off of any standard car you would see flame shooting out and that is unused power. They claim a 1-gram tablet in a standard tank will fix this problem and give you an additional 15-20% increase in mpg.

The blister pack gives you 12 tabs for $251. That is about $21 a pill and adds $21 to each tank of gas you put in your car. 20 bucks is almost another tank of gas for me. I am not sure if 7.5-10 mpg more is going to make up for that. Oh I am just assuming you get 50mpg per tank to make the math easy. So basically what they offer me is for every ten gallons of gas I buy they will give me 75 more miles for the same cost of gas that I can go 500 on. So even if it does work the cost is extremely high. If you are in it to save money you can see how it will only waist it. if you want to waist money to be more green go for it. i say save for about a year and buy one of those battery upgrades to the prius that get you 80mpg and up. Finally just to clarify in the F.A.Q section they say you need to use it with every fill up. You decide one tank of gas for the price of two with a very marginal boost in mpg or save the cash.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :D :D :D It is simply amazing how many people are deceived by these obviously fake claims. P.T. Barnum said it many years ago... "...one is born every minute..."

The other applicalbe quote: "If it's too good to be true...."

Remember the 'pills' which 'could turn water into gasoline?'

11. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Given the smaller gas tank on the Prius, perhaps one could get away with using a half pill per tank (particularly if you only put in say 7 or 8 gallons at a fill up). That would certainly make it more cost effective, but still out of my price range until I see some long-term data on the safety and effectiveness of this. Could there be a long-term effect on the bladder that you wouldn't see on a normal car?

12. Squint

Squint New Member

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006...gas_prices.html

13. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Good questions I guess if you are willing to risk it. I do know this. when I had my Mini I bought some of those octane boost formula things. Those do work and yes you can tell. A friends mechanic told me they were a waist of money because they cause the gas to burn very hot and it destroys the o rings and other parts of the engine. He said you could probably look at the engine coolant temps when you are running the car very hard and see a big difference. He told me to save my money at each fill up and before I know it I would have the money to buy the better supercharger pulley and get way more hp and torque without costly damage. He was right.

So it all depends on the risk you want to take even if the product does work.

14. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 10 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]420878[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry IAO, but I had to mention this. "Waste" means to throw away, not use, etc. "Waist" is where your pants snap.

Never trust a spell-checker... ;)

15. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ Apr 10 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]420889[/snapback]</div>

Lol
    Yeah my spelling is atrocious and I k now it. I do work on it but it just doesn’t do any good.

16. phidauex

phidauex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the pills are snake oil.

Modern engines burn a LOT of their fuel. There isn't a big gout of unburned fuel shooting out the exhaust. The prius is even more efficient in this regard. It wouldn't be able to get its AT-PZEV status if it had any significant unburned hydrocarbon output. If it is already burning all its hydrocarbons, then a 'catalyst' isn't going to help.

I don't buy the argument that this sort of thing has been kept a 'secret' by the auto industry. If they had the technology to add 20% to your fuel mileage, they would. Maybe not on all cars, but think how many more Priuses Toyota would sell if they were able to claim a 20% increase in mileage. If it would let them sell more cars, they could use the tech.

Regarding nitrogen in tires... That is pretty much snake oil as well, at least as applied to most auto drivers. For one thing, air is already 78% nitrogen. For another thing, the remaining 22%, mostly oxygen, with a little bit of CO2 and argon, has largely the same thermal characteristics as nitrogen. It expands and contracts with temperature changes in the exact same way.

So it begs the question.. Why would nitrogen be better in tires? Corrosion resistance? Maybe, if you have steel wheels, or you are getting your tires up to hundreds of degrees F. Pressure stays longer? Not really, nitrogen molecules are actually a little smaller than O2 molecules, they won't stay in the tire any longer. No water? This gets back to corrosion resistance. A lack of moisture in the tire could be a good thing, but most air compressors already have driers on them to remove the air, and if someone thought the moisture was really important, they would just buy a 15$ drier for their compressor, instead of tanks of nitrogen to sell to you at an inflated (hehe) price.

So anyway... If you are getting nitrogen for free (I've heard of some tire places filling your tires for free with nitrogen, probably as a way to keep you coming back to the store), then there is no harm, but unless you are a drag racer, it won't help at all. And if you believe you are a drag racer, then look on the inside of your tires after you get them replaced, and ask yourself the question "Does it look like corrosion and oxidation has damaged the inside of these tires??" No, it hasn't...

-Sam

17. brad34695

brad34695 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know this may sound overly cynical, but how do I know that AAA isn't in bed with the oil companies? My original post was hoping to find people who may have tried, or known people that have tried this product. The oil lobbyists have too much $$$$ to shut up corporations, or have them go out of there way to help them sell more gas. Again, I know I may sound overly paraniod or too much of a cyniac, but unfornetaley that's the world we live in.

Brad

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Squint @ Apr 10 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]420877[/snapback]</div>

18. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Buy it and let us know if it works then. Obviously the people posting here are not oil lobbyists but think it is a farce. This product increases hp and mpg and has no drawbacks so they say. Why would any manufacturer not use this? GM would say hey our trucks get %20 more hp and mpg than Ford trucks and all you have to do is buy this option that supplies you with the pill or whatever for the life of the car.

Oh mythbusters did an episode on increased mpg. They tested tons of products but I can remember if they tried this. Check ou their website maybe they have some info. I do remember that 99% of the stuff did not work. Some of them were very bad for the car and others were just dangerous.

19. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't really see how swallowing a pill could possibly get my car to get better MPG.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even if it works, I would love to see what it does to your fuel line over time. If you dropped it in a Prius, the bladder would probably melt. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brad34695 @ Apr 10 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]420923[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. People will believe whatever they want to believe. For the cost of 1 pill I will sell you a kit and instructions that will increase your mpg. You know it has to be good because all of the auto manufacturers and oil companies are conspiring against me and keeping it a secret. Aww, I can't do it. I'm too damned honest. You'll get better results by increasing your tp and blocking your grill in the winter. Total cost under $10. Slightly more if you have to buy an air compressor.