1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG for first 5 min of trip?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by freedog, Dec 13, 2007.

1. freedog

freedog Prius Newbie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The bar graph for the first 5 minutes of any trip I make shows bad MPG - between 20 and 25, even though I get around 50 or better after that.
    (Im in Florida where the weather has been perfect (high today is 80) so its not that the heater or a/c is working to control the climate of a frozen or hot interior.)

Is this normal?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normal. All cars burn a lot of fuel warming up the engine and catalytic converter, and the Prius is no exception. That's the main reason short trips are so hard on mileage.

Tom

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whenever possible avoid briskly accelerating during the first few minutes....if you hear the ICE racing more than it usually does when warmed up you're getting lousy gas mileage. Look in the Knowledge Base forum for the 5 stages of hybrid operation article...in S1 the ICE tries hard to throttle back to ~1250rpm while the emissions control systems and ICE warm up. If you can go really easy during S1 you'll notice a real bump in that first 5 min MPG.

For instance...last night it took a very long time for me to get through S1...about 2 full minutes...but traffic was light so I just piddled along until I was in S2 (I use CAN-View to monitor the ICE rpm) and then took off...my first 5 min bar, in 30 degree temps, was almost 60mpg.

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So, would I be better off letting the ICE come on during the first 1/4 mile (mostly downhill) of my commute than doing it in EV mode, and having the ICE come on when I hit the flat stretch (a bit of stop and go, and then I start my P&G)?

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. EV mode is never a good idea, unless you are moving a short distance at low speed, such as around a parking lot, or under some very special circumstances where you know your battery is going to be heavily charged in an upcoming downhill.

Tom

6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've found that to get the best mileage when the engine is warming up, you need to reach 35+ mph and stay at a relatively constant speed without much stopping and starting. If you can do that, mileage will be 45mpg+. For example, if I hit all the green lights on the surface streets on the way to the freeway, I'll get 45mpg. If I get stuck at a couple lights, I get 25-30mpg.

Unfortunately, most commutes start at slow speeds with a bunch of starting and stopping so I typically get 25-30mpg the first 5 minutes.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

8. freedog

freedog Prius Newbie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I assume you mean EV is never a good idea in the first 5 minutes?

9. freedog

freedog Prius Newbie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the replies, guys. This is great info. Im really loving PriusChat.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never is a tough word..but rarely is certainly a good choice. The slower and longer the drive that first 5 minutes (where you'd be tempted to use the EV button) the better it is to let the car get through S1 by going through its programmed warm-up.
    No touchy the EV button.

11. freedog

freedog Prius Newbie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The EV button? Does my 2008 Prius have that?

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know...it doesn't come with one but your question above:
    suggested that you have an EV button. If you're just talking about stealth, when the Prius goes into EV on it's own, then you should do anything to encourage or avoid it that first 5 minutes...let the car do it's own thing.

13. danatt

danatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Evan -

Even at stop lights?

I have quite a few stop lights in the beginning of my drive. I find that when I use the EBH in the morning, the ICE is warm enough that I can use the EV button to kill the ICE and prevent idling at these stop lights. (Without the EBH pre-warming I typically get the triple beep "cannot change to EV mode now" message.) I've been under the impression that it's better to prevent the idling, even if that delays the warm-up a bit.

What do you think?

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't have an NW20 to test but with my NHW11, slipping the car into "N" cuts the fuel consumption during warm-up in half without extending the warm-up. Once combusted, the hot gas doesn't really spend a long time in the cylinder and exhaust manifold. The rate of temperature increase is more a function of the thermal properties of aluminum and the coolant.

Bob Wilson

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, I didn't mean to restrict my comment to the first five minutes, but by EV mode I was referring to manually forcing EV, not when the Prius does it on its own. I did qualify it with some special circumstances, which is basically any time it's better to not have the engine start because of future conditions. The control system has no knowledge of upcoming events, so it bases its decisions on existing conditions. It doesn't know that you are just driving across the parking lot, or are going to head down a big hill in ten seconds. Those are the sort of conditions where manual EV will actually help. There aren't many of them. In the hands of most drivers, a manual EV button will hurt mileage instead of help.

Tom