1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"MPG from Start" - screen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by timpeti, Oct 6, 2014.

1. timpeti

timpeti New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I was recently driving a 2013 Prius C and I was surprised to see that it had a screen indicating MPG from Start, Procent in EV mode etc. I'm wondering if there is a "MPG from Start" screen anywhere on a Gen. III Prius.

Timpeti

2. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you turn off the Prius, the display shows the mpg from the last time it was started. It only stays on for a short time though before the display turns off.

3. timpeti

timpeti New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but I'd like to have access to this data during the ride. For me, this is the most useful data but I can't access it while driving. Very frustrating...

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ScanGuage II works that way. You can show realtime mpg and accumulating since start up. Very handy. If you do a regular run, the accumulating will typically start out showing poor mpg, gradually improving. By the end of the trip you should be in familiar mpg territory. If it varies, maybe something is up. Culprits can be winter gas, snow tires, ambient temps, rain, AC use, more passengers/cargo, and so on.

5. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The easiest/cheapest way to do that then is to simply use 1 of the 2 trip meters and watch the CONS display. Simply reset A or B each time you want to watch the mpg for a particular drive. I only track mpg between fill-ups and can get a pretty good idea how I'm doing on a particular segment simply by watching the mpg go up and down, but I can see where it might be useful to check more closely when comparing routes, etc. It might be a bit of a hassle having to remember to reset the trip meter each time, but it's a lot cheaper than buying a ScanGuage just for that and I don't know if you can just leave it plugged in all the time.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be sweet to have a lot more info screens available on the gen IV.

7. timpeti

timpeti New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use the trip meter for A: from tank to tank and B: from oil change to oil change, resetting it every time I go on a trip would mess this up. It's strange, some things are too abstract and technical (e.g. the unit of regenerated energy being Wh - why not oz of gasoline or -assuming average MPG- miles) while others fall short.

8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Somehow I knew you were going to say that :), so I guess a ScanGauge might be in your future.