1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mpg - misc other - KN

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by partsmore, Sep 14, 2010.

1. partsmore

partsmore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2010 Prius
    :welcome:
    I switched to 87 octane (not ethanol blend) and think mileage went down?

Car is new - so Im a newbie - My 20 yo son just bought one also!

Has anyone tried a KN air filter to increase MPG when engine is running?

Has anyone tried different spark plugs when engine is running?

Most of my driving is 40mpg so Im considering the 2kw add on battery kit when they are available for the 2010.

Im sourcing the best mudflaps for the Prius also and will keep you informed.

I already installed a deep cycle battery for higher 12V battery voltage with accessories I plan to add (audio and video, laptop)

Also looking for ideas for a nice solid laptop holder.
    Other Ideas?:welcome:

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Answers:

1) Yes, people on this forum have tried K&N filters. The accumulated evidence suggests no mileage improvement using them. This is because the engine on the Prius is hardly ever taxed to the point where breathing becomes an issue.

2) The OEM spark plugs supplied with your Prius are already the best money can buy. Any other claims are snake oil, and made in an attempt to remove money from your wallet.

3) Adding a bigger HV battery will not improve your mileage, unless you go with a plug-in conversion. Government testing clearly demonstrated that even with half battery capacity, mileage was not noticeably reduced.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Avoid K&N. They pass alot more dirt and don't gain anything is the OEM filter is properly sized (which it is).

Do a search on Spicer air filter test.