1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mpg new prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by venki3v, Jan 26, 2011.

1. venki3v

venki3v New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My prius which is just three weeks old is giving around 42mpg and i have driven around 1100 miles. Is it acceptable for a new prius or i am i doing something wrong. Here are my driving parameters in the last three weeks.

200 miles trip last two weeks on monday and friday commuting between detroit and columbus.
    Less than two miles every day to an fro from work.
    It has been really cold in columbus and detroit.
    I use coasting and gliding a lot.
    The best i got was 44.6 mpg on one of the long trip to columbus.
    City driving generally is around 38-40 mpg.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd say that's about right given your conditions and commute. Your short two mile drives in cold weather will kill your mileage. You could benefit from grille blocking, inflating your tires above the door sticker values and an engine block heater. #1 is very cheap, #2 is free and #3 is a not so cheap.

If you have some expectations based on EPA numbers, please read http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...uth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html.

Most fuel-efficient cars is what Consumer Reports got.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree with cwerdna. and search the mpg threads here for even more fuel saving tips. all the best and welcome to pc!

4. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the longer trip I imagine you could get a little higher - on the highway next time set it on cruise control to see what the car gets on its own. It's not technically the most efficient way to drive, but it will give you a good baseline off which to compare future rides. If you drove over the speed limit, keep it right at the speed limit and see what happens. Have fun with the new car.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    heater use

One more tip, that should help a little w/cold weather mileage involves heater use.

Since I doubt you have means of monitoring the coolant temp, essentially, when the ICE (internal combustion engine) is cold and you're stopped or at low speeds (say <41 mph), I wouldn't use auto on the HVAC and I would leave the fan speed at off (but temp anywhere above LO is ok), to prevent the ICE from running to provide cabin heat and use ECO mode.

Once you need higher speeds or harder acceleration that would start the ICE, turn the fan back on, since the ICE has to run anyway. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-car-in-history-in-winter-14.html#post1249224 mentions "The new ECO mode allows the engine to remain off all the way down to a coolant temperture of 114°F."

On my 2nd gen, if coolant temp <=145 F, temp = HI and fan is on, the ICE will run to provide cabin heat.

1 person likes this.
  6. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on your new Prius and welcome to PriusChat.

You'll get a lot of advice on how to improve your MPGs, so give them all a try. But when the temps warm up to something more reasonable, you'll see big improvements in your MPGs. You didn't say whether your trips to Columbus was just you, or if your car was weighed down with people and/or luggage.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

1 person likes this.
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds good to me considering its winter. Double check your tire pressures too - the correct pressures are shown on the inside of the drivers door. Some drivers keep the pressures a couple psi over these pressures which gives better economy at the expense of a slightly harsher ride.

Enjoy your new ride :)

8. Priusrage

Priusrage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm in Columbus and got a combined 44mpg on our first tank.
    But this is a new driving style to me, and I'm sure I could
    do better. But were not too far off from each other.
    Welcome!

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    cwerdna = See? We're DNA.

OMG. I just got it. ;)

10. venki3v

venki3v New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It looks like twittel hit the nail on the head. With the temps moving from bone chilling single digits to respectable 32 degrees in columbus and detroit. MPG showed a drastic improvement from 42 to 51 mpg during yesterday's 200 mile trip from columbus to detroit. I am not sure is it solely due to the slightly warm temperature or due to P&G which i used more in this trip