1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG recent issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Anonymous, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Living in the Detroit area, I often find that I go days without seeing another one. Being in the heart of the American auto company region has a side benefit. That is, you don't have to wait as long as someone in, say, California because most people here can't even consider it.

Anyway, today after yoga class I made my usual trip to Whole Foods and saw two other Priuses parked next to each other. That was amazing. When I came out of the store, the owners of one of the others were loading their groceries in to the back and I went up to them and said that I was used to being so unique with the only Prius in the lot and we got to talking. The man of the Prius, so to speak, mentioned a couple of things that were new to me. First, that when winter comes and they switch over to the winter mix with ethanol in it that I'll get almost 10 mpg less than in the summer.

The other thing was that I shouldn't let the tank get much below a quarter full because the fuel pump is inside the tank and needs to be cooled by the gasoline and if I run the tank down to empty that the fuel pump will burn out a lot sooner than it was meant to. That will take some getting used to because most of the cars I've had before were small and the mpg always went up in them the emptier the tank got.

One of the first things I do with a new car is find out just how far it can go on a tank of gas so that I know when to fill it up just before it runs out. Of course, the consumption display keeps a constant avg mpg so I don't have to work it out on a calculator so running on empty isn't necessary. It was interesting to note that as my Prius was on its last two bars on the display, my mpg had been inching up towards 57 mpg. I'm guessing that I may have gotten it higher had I run it down to empty but glad I didn't if the fuel pump's life was lengthened by filling up earlier.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Kaysea,
    First of all, welcome to Priuschat. I see that this is your first post. All are welcome, none are refused. Especially if they drive a hybrid in Detroit. Good for you!

I can not speak to the gas pump. Someone with more techie knowledge can handle that one.

On the topic of the winter driving: YES. You will see a dramatic change in your mileage once winter comes. There are many posts and Evan has a document that explains very well how all the various factors affect mileage.

When I make a claim, I like to back it up with facts. All I have is this, my lifetime mileage chart. You can clearly see that my per-tank mileage practically parallels the temperature.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, Tony, I'm pretty much a rookie since I've only had my Prius for a couple of weeks or so. I'm not sure what's going on but I last filled up on Saturday and the MPG on the consumption display is reading a little over 58 and this with the auto a/c set at 76 which is perfectly comfortable for me. I knew that I was good at getting optimal mileage no matter which car I drove but this is getting scary. I doublecheck the diplay figure with the old-fashioned way (with a calculator) so I know that the consumption figure was accurate as of the last fill-up and I hit the reset button after filling up. I'd wanted a Prius since they first came out and I finally got what I wanted. I was driving a Corolla before this and it's great that for the first time ever, trading up to a bigger car actually resulted in better mileage.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You have one factor to your advantage: by the time the cold weather starts to settle in, your Prius will be broken in and you will be better at driving it.

Usually when I show someone the above chart, they ask about the first couple months. The jagged beginning is due to a trip from Chicago to Nebraska. And then, just as the car was settling in and I was getting better at driving it, winter came along and my mileage went with it.

And you might hear some people talk about tire pressure. The drop in late November was due to my not paying attention to tire pressure.

It sounds like you are already well on your way to some excellent mileage numbers. Keep track and post them here and at greenhybrid.com.