1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG Reset Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mschrank, May 8, 2007.

1. mschrank

mschrank New Member

Getting near to refill point on my 1st tank of gas. 2 bars left.
    My 07 Touring Pkg 6 has been steadily improving mpg since I brought her home about 10 days ago. 48.4 mpg a/o today.

From what I've read here, you can track lifetime mpg, as well as just the current tank.
    Q. What does reset button do & how do you track lifetime mpg?

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. The "miles this tank" counter gets reset automatically once you add about 2.5 gallons to the tank. There is no way to prevent this reset.

2. The MPG figure continues to compute an average until you press the RESET on the screen. Note that the MPG value will change more slowly as it averages over more and more miles. (There's no way to find out how many miles it's been tracking.) Once you press the RESET, the MPG will begin averaging again from this moment forward. There is no way to "undo" this reset once you've pressed it.

It's easiest to compute lifetime MPG using a computer spreadsheet. This allows you to add up every gallon you've ever bought, and the total odometer reading, and that gets you lifetime MPG. It's a better measure of economy because it smoothes the variations from one tank to another. This smoothes out variations due to gas pump shutoff, cold weather, temporary changes in driving habits, etc.

3. mschrank

mschrank New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhs @ May 8 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]437884[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for response. I'm clear now.

MHS

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad I could help. I gave this a few moments' extra thought to ensure that I was writing it clearly.