1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG, Should I or Shouldn't I

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Susanne101, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

As a newbie, purchased in Feb '07.... my question is:
    Does resetting the trip odometer effect how the MFD calculates fuel economy?
    Do you ever hit the reset button on the energy screen? If so, does this affect the calculations?
    I really don't understand the little green cars and half green cars on my screen.

Feel stupid in asking these questions. I should know all this by now.
    We are currenty getting 45.6 mpg with a little over 400 miles on the car, mostly driving 35 - 45mph zones. Short trips, 3 to 10 miles per trip, avg 6 miles per trip. Really using pulse and glide now.

Susanne

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)If you do not hit reset the displayed mpg is for the life of your car or since the last reset if hit by accident. Thus, the displayed mpg will change much more slowly the longer you drive the car since each individual tank will have less and less impact on the lifetime economy in a relative amount.

2)If you wish to know the mpg for each tank then you need to hit the reset button at the time of fill-up. This will give you a much better tank to tank mpg, but you'll then have no way of knowing the overall mpg unless you keep a seperate record like many of us do...Cleanmpg.com and greenhybrid.com have some nice tools that help you do that.

3)When you use regenerative braking (which is almost all the time when you use your brakes) and when you coast with your foot completely off of the gas the regenerated energy is put into your battery. Each green car represents 50Wh of regenerated energy...about enough to power a 50W light bulb for an hour. It just gives you an idea of how much you regenerated during a given 5 minute segment. Remember that although regeneration when braking is better than no regeneration...it's better to not have to brake at all or to do so as little as possible since you can never get back as much energy as you spent.

3. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susanne101 @ Apr 8 2007, 09:57 AM) [snapback]419817[/snapback]</div>
    I reset the energy screen and odometer after every fillup. By not resetting the energy screen, the computer will simply calculate your MPG over a longer period of time. I reset because I like to see what the difference is from tank to tank.

4. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 8 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]419827[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the information. I guess I may reset the trip odometer and the reset button on the screen to see mpg from tank to tank. OR.... I may reset trip B odometer and leave trip A as is....... to see the difference and to see if the screen agrees with either number??????

Either way...... I will check out those websites and use the tools to help me calculate overall MPG. As always, efusco... I respect your opinion and knowledge since reading so many of your posts.
    PriusBoy: your response directly answered my question... Thanks so much guys.

OH, one more question: :blink:

How do I get the MFD to check my tire pressure????? I know that I can do it manually and will do so.

S

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susanne101 @ Apr 8 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]419875[/snapback]</div>
    You don't. All you have is the tps turning on a light when 25% of the pressure (as set by pressing the button below the steering wheel) is lost in one tire.