1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG/Something not right

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JCox, Jan 7, 2006.

1. JCox

JCox New Member

I purchased my 05 Prius back in November of 05. The first weekend I had it, I drove out of state from NC to SC and when I got back and filled up, I checked the gas mileage and received 52mpg. Since then, I go back and forth to work, grocery store and to babysitters and that's it. I have been averaging 42-44 mpg. Last week, I drove about 350 miles and had to fill up. Not realizing the miles driven, I checked the MPG after filling up and I had received 34mpg.

Has anyone had this happen?? What could be wrong with the car?? I have talked to my salesman and he said something didn't sound right. I'm going to take it in next week. It should have right at 3000 miles on it so I'll get the oil changed and get it checked out.

Any comments??

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <_< hmmm. First thing I'd check is your tyre pressure. That's something that's easy to do and can have a HUGE impact on your fuel economy.

3. JCox

JCox New Member

Thanks Tripp, I'll check it tomorrow and we'll see. I have been reading some posts about this problem after I posted and I'm getting a little nervous. I can tell you one thing and I'm not jumping to conclusions, but if I don't get any help from my dealership after eliminating the small stuff, I will go to Attorney Generals Office. I'm not going to play around like some of these people have.

Thanks for the info though.

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

First, why would you change your oil at 3000 miles?
    Second, why would you go to the Attorney Generals Office? I don't know where you are located but there are so many factors that could impact your fuel economy, such as temperature, your driving etc. I think Attorney General will laugh more than help.

5. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should read from other people's mistakes as reported in 'mpg' threads.
    You are doing something wrong, I'm sure.
    Seriously, invest some time to learn about your vehicle.

If you had bothered to read the owners manual, you'd know there was no oil change at 3k miles. Anyways, if things don't work out, good luck with litigation.

6. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I agree with Maggie. Going to the attorney generals office is not going to get anything done for you.

You make make it sound like it's a bunch of "small" stuff that's causing your problem?
    Have you ever considered that Winter has rolled in, your mileage is going to drop? From November of 2005 to now, the temperature around here dropped 20 degrees. Probably the same where you live.

Lower temperatures means lower mileage. It takes longer for the car to warm up in the morning, and it burns more gas in warming up the car. ESPECIALLY if you have short trips...

It sounds like you only drive a few miles a day. Your mileage will drop severely in that case.

Learn to drive your car... you can still get decent mileage even in the winter, but don't automatically assume it's the car's fault or the dealer's fault.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do what you have to do. In my opinion, the low mileage you've seen in your Prius is still better than the 2000 Dodge truck that gets 13mpg that you gave up.

Should you choose to get rid of your Prius, I hope you enjoyed your time here on Priuschat and wish you better luck with your next vehicle.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, another fine example of "it's not working, I'll sue if THEY can't fix it"

Please take responsibility and check your tyre pressure, check your oil level (some have seen mpg drop from overfilled oil).

How far is it between work, home and the babysitters? Distance matters. Even in above 0°C weather, it'll take me 5kms to warm up. Near freezing, it's closer to 10kms of city driving (~50km/h).

Do you live in a hilly area?
    How cold is it right now?

That's all I can think of right now.

9. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I researched the crap out of Prius and other vehicles that would suit my needs. I knew that I was not going to be getting the advertised MPG on this car or any other vehicle I have ever had. I knew that my driving habits were bad and the Prius has helped me improve those. I knew that the mileage would vary depending on terrain and distance. I read my manual and I paid attention to what folks here had to say (thanks to all). By doing all this I have been able to improve my mileage from 39-40 to 43-44 in a hilly area of San Diego county with a 10 mile commute.
    This car does require a learning curve, perhaps not everyone is a good learner......

10. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think you have to take into account your overall yearly average mpg to judge. One tank is a very short term view.

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

What was the mpg on the display ? It is very consistent, and usually accurate to within 2 - 3%. Tank to tank can be way off, due to variations in 'full'.

12. SmarterCarThanYours

SmarterCarThanYours Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I checked my mileage against the display average and it is very accurate. I can get around 45-46 MPG but when my wife drives the car she gets a lot less. I think you have to drive a lot softer than how most people drive to get the best mileage. I have noticed that cold weather seems to decrease my mileage and more obviously, hills.

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Ahh .. you are suffering from an acute case of the lead-foot-wife syndrome.

A variety of remedies have been tried -- all anecdotal.

In my case, more than anything constant bitching (err, I mean encouragement) and time improved her driving. I also had the opportunity to chauffer her around for a couple of months. She liked the attention, but her pride was taking a hit, and she didn't like being told to take the old car when she had to drive.

There is still a 10 - 20% difference between us, but at least she she makes an effort.

14. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I keep a little book in the glove box to monitor my fill-ups and calculate my mileage that way. Doing that, I get wild swings in our mileage. Some showing 32 and some showing 56. All the while, the trip computer showing 40 when my wife has if for a long time, and 46 when I drive it for awhile.

I'm sure it's the tank. Once, nearly being empty I only got in 6 gallons.

Just one tip...I use the cruise control a lot...I mean a lot. If I'm on a stretch of road that very short and flat, I'll still turn it on once I'm at cruising speed.