1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG stats: First tank, first trip

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dhs, Jul 10, 2009.

1. dhs

dhs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had my Prius for 10 days: picked it up on 6/30/09.

Yestdays, before a shortish (140 mi each way) road trip, I filled up, and put in 6 gal in 260 miles, or 43.3 MPG, which seems low. Now, a lot of my driving is at rush hour, but the compute was higher. So I am left with: does the computer accurately reflect the MPG, or (more likely) did the dealer not fill the car all the way up?

My best trip (9.8 miles to work, before traffic got real bad) was 77.2!

Now, my drip from Northern Va to North Wilmington, DE: 53.8 MPG, first 2 hrs, in very heavy traffic ( 2 1/2 hour to go 50 miles). The last 1 1/2 hour, I was going around 65-70 miles per hour.

I know in my old car ('05 Subaru Forester) with the traffic and all, I would have been lucky to get 19 MPG.

I am happy.

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Well to start with...you will have to calculate mileage over multiple tanks...additionally, make sure your tire pressures are nominal to around 42 psi front and 40 psi back...and seeing how this is your first shot at this ...it will take multiple trips and increased total miles to bring up your mpg...it will occur as the vehicle increases its total miles and you learn to drive it...as soon as 5000miles you will see a "bump" in mpg somewhat......ive noticed over the years that the mfd is very close on mpg calculation...