1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG to KM/Litre

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HTWB, Jan 19, 2005.

1. HTWB

HTWB New Member

Ireland - where I live - changes from speed in miles per hour to kilometers per hour from tomorrow. I have a button on the dash which changes the speedo to KM/hr but doesn't change the energy and consumption screens.
    Any suggestions?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

i don't know if there are different settings there in Ireland than here in the US. If US were to change to metric/SI, we would need Toyota to get involved to change the display programming.

In the diagnostics, there are settings for model and country, so they may use that.

I would contact your dealer, I am sure you won't be the only one with that problem.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can get the dealer to change the display. The car must be programmed to display MPG for USA, MPG for UK, and l/100 km for elsewhere.

As far as I know, only the United States uses MPG based on U.S. gallons (3.78 litre per U.S. gallon). The MPG in the UK and other countries is based on Imperial gallons (4.54 litres per Imperial gallon).

As l/100 km displays consumption, it somehow seems more intuitive than MPG, especially when stopped. Once the ICE turns off, the l/100 km displays 0.0.

With l/100 km, less is better. With MPG, more is better, which seems to reinforce the "bigger is better" mindset.