1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seaside man, Nov 22, 2006.

1. seaside man

seaside man New Member

What has everybody been getting in the cold weather for mileage?I''ve seen about 37 to 42on average when the temp get's done in the 20's.Is that normal for the pruis in the winter time?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks about average for a short commute.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So much depends on the length of your drive, the temperature of the traction battery, whether you're talking nighttime low temp or daytime high temp, terrain, driving conditions, traffic, stop signs and traffic lights, etc. Also whether your car is brand-new or has gone beyond about 10K miles, when mpg seems to improve.

In Fargo, ND, when the lows were 20 to 30 below zero and the highs were up around zero, my 10-minute each-way commute with a 5-minute warm-up time to get some heat into the cabin yielded me around 30 mpg.

My last tankful here in Spokane, WA, was in the upper 40's.

4. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am sitting at almost 72 mpg at 400 miles on the MFD with temps in the mid 40's and 50's. I have a 20 mile commute that takes me 35 or so minutes in moderate surburban traffic. My car only has 3100 miles on it. I try to pulse and glide, anticipate traffic, and roll up to lights with no regen. My theme; if I have to hit the brake pedal, I must be doing something wrong.

Like others have said, temperture, terrain, length of commute, type of commute, and driver's skill play a large role in fuel economy.

YMMV.

5. brucem5755

brucem5755 New Member

I have about a 45 minute commute from South Bend, IN to work in Michigan. I am getting a solid 49 MPG. A bit more if I really work at it. About the lowest temperature I have driven in so far was 27F. Im sure it will get a bit worse as winter sets in....