1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by lzika, Oct 22, 2004.

1. lzika

lzika New Member

I topk delivery of my 2004 Prius on May 12. Since then, I have never achieved an mpg over 47 on a tank of gas. I have tried running with the cruise on and with it off, with the AC/Auto on and with it off. I have experimented with different gas stations, and am currently using synthetic oil.

I live in northern MN, and we did have a cool summer here, but even when the temps were in the 80s and 90s my mpg did not improve. Now that the temps are cooling off, my mpg has dropped down to between 40-42. Since we aren't anywhere near the coldest time of year yet, I am worried about where my mpg will wind up! I commute 32 miles to work, all highway miles, mostly at 58-62 mph. The last 5 miles are at freeway speed. I bought my Prius for the gas mileage, and so far have not been impressed. I have friends who are driving compact cars and are getting better mileage than this...without the hybrid system.

I haven't needed any repair service, but did bring the car in shortly after I got it because the engine seemed to me to be "missing." At least, it was jerking significantly enough as I was driving down the highway to cause concern. The technician insisted it was behaving normally and I just wasn't used to it yet...it was simply cycling the electric motor on and off.

I am new to the group and did some browsing of the archives before posting, but my dial-up connection speed is slow so I finally decided to just ask a question. My apologies if this is a topic that has already been beaten to death!

Thanks for your help.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, Read This Article

I don't think your mileage is bad at all for your conditions. Also, take a look at John Fagnant's Site and his mileage records. You should, as a novice compared to him, expect a little lower gas mileage than he has. I think you'll find that you're doing OK. I realize it's not the 55mpg, or even the 50 you'd hope for, but I bet, after reading my article, you'll see that there are a number of factors impacting you mileage...and even 1-2% point in a few different areas add up. You're probably close to what Consumer Reports got and what the national average is.

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Challange your subcompact friends to actually keep a written and calculated log, then compare. Ask them how many adults can comfortably ride in their cars. Challange them to race (the Prius is FAST!) Ask them what their emissions are. The Prius is alone at the top in this category. Ask your subcompacts to haul things with seats folded down. The list goes on. It really is an apples vs. oranges comparison. No one but Prius owners get it. Plus all the people whom we've talked to and let drive the car. I let people drive it, it's the only way to convince some. Good luck! Happy Hybrid motoring.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think you'll find that the people on this board will gladly beat any and every topic to death if it means the distribution of knowledge and experiences.

There have been discussions as to the "Sweet Spot" of Prius efficiency. In fact, there's a thread called "Sweet Spot" here:
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/whats-the-...html?highlight=
    It's possible that the long amount of highway driving requires enough ICE power to keep it from shutting off. I have the option to commute via interstate but choose the side roads for the slower speeds and less erratic start-and-stop driving. In other words, I'd rather be able to slowly accelerate from a stop light than go from 70 to 0 to 70 in 30 seconds.

I've only had Priapus since August and feel that I'm still getting the hang of making that lifetime average go up: It drops like a rock but only creeps up.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's a good point...your 'sub-compact friends'...are they driving the same route, speeds, times of day, traffic as you. AND are they carefully tracking the mileage or just saying "I get better than that."? There's a big difference.

And, you're talking about a much bigger car than a sub compact with more comfort, features, etc. If you ONLY goal was the best MPG, then you should've gotten a manual tranny Insight. There are a number of cars that real cost of ownership is less than the Prius (sub-compacts being in the forefront). But I bet your disappointment in not getting 55mpg would quickly shift to disappointment in comfort, size, power, reliability, noise, features, fun factor, environmental impact ....the list goes on and on.

Try to think of the benefits of the package, then read my article and try to implement some of the suggestions and concepts there and see what you can do. Unfortunately, with a Minnisota winter coming you're going to take a hit (see John's numbers so you'll know about where you'll be).

6. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Get your friends to show you the proof that they are getting better gas mileage than you...the only non-hybrid vehicle that could possibly come close to the mileage that you are getting would be the VW TDI (diesel), and it would be pushing to obtain 45mpg. Give it some time...yes, those Intl. Falls winters will cause a big hit, but my wife does a 66 mile one way commute, that involves about 35 miles of 70 mph highway, about 25 miles of 35-45 mph four lane traffic and then the last 6-7 miles, stop and start, the return trip, due to the time of the day, adds on more mileage at stop and start. She's constantly averaging over 53 mpg. Don't get frustrated, there is nothing as roomy inside, as comfortable, that gets the mileage your Prius gets, on the road today, like the Prius, I don't care what your friends are telling...tell them: "Show me the proof!!" :mrgreen: :guns:

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :iagree I've thrown that gaunlet at a few of my co-workers, especially the large vehicle drivers who insist [posture=deep throat,shoulders back]"My Expedition gets about 23"[/posture]. So far no takers.

8. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

I received my Pkg.9 in November, 2003. I am the guy ahead of you who is just poking along, I try to get regeneration. My tires are at 40-38 and I use Synthetic oil. My mpg is in the 42-44 range. I have always had trouble getting much gas in tank. Yesterday, when I returned home, had 2 segments on fuel and 270 miles on ODO. This morning, I backed out and had one segment blinking, at 272 on ODO. A block away, "get Fuel" appeared on screen. I went to service station and really worked hard to get gas into tank. I dispensed the gas at the slowest speed I could get. It was hard holding the handle for the 5 minutes it took me to get gas. I finally got 9 gals. in and then it burped at me. I have tried the slow filling at all times and sometimes, only get 5 or 6 gals. in. I have sent Email to my Service Advisor, asking if I can get the tank-bladder fix, even though my Vin is not in the acceptable range to get this fix. So far he has not replied.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    People here never tire of beating this one. I have noticed that my milage is dropping with our temps hanging around 40s to 50s and even low 60s at mid day. Driving style is critical. I do better with cruse control over all there sites on the web that will help with advice. Relatively brisk acceleration helps, you can see it where there is a mpg drop from the mid to low 20s to the low teens and 10 I try to keep in the higher range. You can get better mpg with even slower acceleration but you drag it out over a longer period of time (and space). Get up to speed and put the cruse control on. Slow acceleration decreases the M.P.G. in the long run. Try to anticipate and coast or very gently break to a stop. It is hard to get EPA though it is done. I don't think I will get there. I started practicing a more conservative driving style with my Ford Explorer and got my MPG up from 17-19 to 20-23. I am getting 50-53 tank averages now but they are going down I would expect the 40 as it gets cooler though we will not get the cold weather you do!

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Just one thing to try when you use cruise control, go about 3-4 mph over the speed you want to set at then take your foot "completely" off the gas pedal and when your speed drops to the speed you want then set the cruise control. What this will do is make the computer see that your really in stealth and if your in S4 it'll make sure that it goes into stealth. If your not is S4 and set the cruise, the computer doesn't, seems to me anyhow, really believe that it should go into stealth. Some thing else to try. See if it helps.