1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPH Display Disappears

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Senior Chief, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Senior Chief

Senior Chief Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    During a recent vacation, while driving at night, the MPH display went black. I completed the drive to the hotel, resolving to change the fuse in the morning. When I started the car in the morning, the display was still black. I checked the fuse I thought should be involved (#22), but it was good. The MPG / MPG screen was still bad.
    Not wanting to drive an additional 400 miles back home without a speedometer, I called the closest dealership to get an appointment. The 2010 has 33K miles on it and is under warrantee.
    When we packed up and started the car for the trip to the dealer, everything was working. One week later and all is good. I plan on getting this anomaly recorded with Toyota just in case it happens again after the warrantee runs out. Has anyone else seen this issue, and if so, what was the root cause. Thanks.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Several people have had failures of the displays. I don't know the cause but the solution has usually been replacing one side or the other (or both) of the instrument display.

Having it documented is a very good idea. I doubt they would replace it if it were not out when you took it in but I would ask anyway. I would remind them it's a safety issue, which it is of course.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The MPH display is actually a reflection from electronics below the top of the dash. That is how the TouchTracer overlays the gas gauge and the mpg gauge.

Any chance you had a business card or other piece of paper blocking the area just below and in front of the display. Others on here have had this same issue.

If you look in front of the MPH display you will see a rectangle cutout just in front of and below the display. Take a piece of paper and slide it over the rectangle and you will see the display disappear again.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Often cause for many on here has been that their dimmer switch got rotated all the way down blanking out the screen. Check that real quick to see if it is dimmed all the way down to where it turns everything off. If the dimmer is in fact all the way up on full bright, take it to the dealer and have it documented/repaired.

Edit: Of course, check if something is obstructing the reflection of the MPH, I did something one should not and assume you knew if something were in there blocking the reflection.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My money is on a business card, phone, small diary or similar being in the way and stopping the display being reflected upwards.

I've done that myself a couple of times. :cool:

6. Kacei

Kacei New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to add this in case anyone searches it like I just did. The dimmer was not the case for my 06 Prius, nor the screen being blocked. I hopped on Youtube and found a video of someone unplugging their 12v battery for 30 seconds to reset the car and that fixing it.. this seemed too sketchy for me until I found about 12 more of the same videos.. so I gave it a try.. and I have all my dash lights back!! So I would say it’s absolutely worth a try. I just did this about 30 minutes ago, but I’ve gone out and started the car 4 times to check and see that it’s still working and it is! I hope this helps someone as well as it did for me.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you may want to test your 12v health.

8. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly, it will likely come back and get worse :((but, hopefully not) search for combination meter problems here, there is a well-known flaw.
    EDIT: Please disregard this info that was based on Gen 2 problems--missed that I was in Gen 3.

#8 ITBland, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You’ll have to link it here instead.

ITBland likes this.
  10. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oops, my bad, :oops:combo display is a known issue in Gen 2 and was the subject of a warranty extension TSB, I do not know of anything like that for a Gen 3. Sorry for the confusion.:oops: (need coffee:coffee:)