1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MSRP v. sticker

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hnational, Jan 3, 2005.

1. hnational

hnational Junior Member

hi everyone,
    i'm really close now! I've been waiting since 7.14.04 and am on my second dealership. Effingham, IL Toyota gets them quickly as i ordered sometime in the middle of dec. Chicago Grossinger still isn't coming through despite the july order.
    i'm getting excited as i had a deal on MSRP which i thought was the standard price off of the toyota.com site. I come to find out that there is about a $500 delivery/handling type charge being added to MSRP that becomes part of the sticker. Is this right? Either way, i'm going to buy the car but it's an extra $500!
    to boot, i'm stuck with the $186 floor mats to boot. ah well, now i can't wait for the higher insurance payments to kick in.

2. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

I paid $590 delivery/handling on my Prius in November. I believe all cars delivered come with the fee added on, usually $500 and up. I also think it depends where the car is made at, as to what it will cost. This was all told to me upfront when I placed my deposit. It came as no suprise

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Yeah, are you sure it isn't just the standard Manufacturer's Delivery, Processing, & Handling Fee of circa $540? That's legit.

4. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

That's what I was talking about the Manufacturer's Delivery, Processing, & Handling Fee not the dealer
    fee that some add on.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee of $540, which appear on the factory sticker and which cover the cost of delivering the car from the factory or the port to the dealership is legitimate.

The documentation fee which some dealers charge, is pure profit for services which are a part of the normal overhead costs of doing business.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    hnational, you mentioned the Toyota site. If you go to "build your own", right on the first page there is a line item of $540 for Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee.

Make sure any downplayment you've made is applied to the purchase price. And in IL, they will put the front license plate bracket on for you. Read this part carefully: Either have them give you the front bracket so you can put it on yourself or show them, personally, where it belongs. My dealer didn't use the bracket and shoved screws right into my bumper. Off-center and crooked. There are dimples (DIMPLES!) showing where the screws go for the front license plate holder. Make sure they use them.

And then join the Chicago Prius group. :)

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm my "standard" fee was $515

8. bcool

bcool New Member

Typically, the delivery fee varies by region (the further from the delivery port, the higher the price). I think it's a fixed amount for all dealers within the region.

If you're buying from Dan Hecht in Effingham (where I got my '05), you can be pretty confident that they won't add anything else to the price of the car. Well, except for their processing fee, which I believe was only $50.

9. bcool

bcool New Member

...oh, yeah, one other thing....

Dan Hecht affixed one of their "advertising logos" to the back hatch. If you don't want that, you should tell them in advance to make sure they don't put it on. I didn't think about it until after I went to pick up the car - by then it was already there. I had another one removed from a previous car and it left a mark, so I just left it there.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dave,
    I'm pretty sure mine too was $515 as should have been all the other 2004s. Man, I'm hoping you have an 04. I think it actually went up to $540 with the 05s.

Who wants to confirm / contest this?

11. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

So tell me more about the Chicago Prius group (waiting to join.. repeat the mantra... 3 more weeks...3 more weeks...3 more weeks)

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bcool\";p=\"61215)</div>
    Mine came with a clear vinyl like sticker, I just peeled it off. There was no permanent mark, just a dirt outline as I didn't pull it for a couple of weeks.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    mine came with no sticker to peel, and bcool, can you verify the $50 fee? you say you believe it to be $50...

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

My port delivery charge was 565 back in August, west central (Tampa Bay) Florida.

The sticker residue can probably be removed with Goo Gone or some solvent like that.

15. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Delivery, Processing, & Handling Fee was $515 in January of '04 and since the dealer trucked it 250 miles to deliver it to me i didn't think that was excessive.

16. hnational

hnational Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"61335)</div>
    Mine came with a clear vinyl like sticker, I just peeled it off. There was no permanent mark, just a dirt outline as I didn't pull it for a couple of weeks.[/b][/quote]

thanks to bruchea_2000 and bcool about the logo. I think to play it safe, i'l give the dealership a buzz about that. Also, thanks about the license plate heads up. I knew there was a post about that i read but had forgotten about the dimples. i'll be sure to look for them.

thanks to everyone else about the $500 + extra answers. i feel much better now. And the $50 that Dan hecht is asking for is nothing compared to the excitement i'm feeling this week! I CAN'T WAIT! only a few more days.

hnational
    ps. i'll look for the chicago club soon thereafter.

17. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i got mine from dan hecht too but i didn't get one of those logos. i just have the Dan Hecht name on the license plate frame

(got mine 3 weeks ago) 8)