1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(MT) Video: Comparison: 2010 Honda Insight vs 2010 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Were the economy what it was a year and a half ago when Wall Street was in full Go-Go-Mode, it's doubtful anybody seriously shopping for an all-new Prius would give Honda's new Insight a second glance. Sure, they look an awful lot alike, but understand, these are two starkly different automobiles. Different in size: Dimensionally, the Insight is a confirmed compact while the new Prius has expanded its interior volume enough to place it somewhere midpack in the midsize category. Different in hybrid technology: What they mainly share is battery chemistry. And different in cost, with a price spread big enough to drive a couple of mortgage payments through. Unfortunately, the economy has subsequently put this sort of simple thinking into a coffee grinder and pressed the top down.

Full Article

Part 2 of the video is on that page too. You can see the LED headlights in the daytime for those that are curious.

YouTube - Hybrid Wars! - Toyota Prius Vs Honda Insight - Part 2

2. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: (Video) Comparison: 2010 Honda Insight vs 2010 Toyota Prius

This is quite a bizzare review. He basicly says that the Prius does everything better, is more refined, more economical, larger etc etc and then says that because the Insight is cheaper it wins!???

Alot of people would pay more for a more refined car no question. Its not ALL about economics.

3. 71Corolla

71Corolla New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I was thinking the same thing. The tone of it was essentially, yes the Prius is a more refined, enjoyable, solid, quality auto in every way. But the Insight is cheaper, so it wins. Never mind that is is noisy, rough, busy and somewhat cheap looking interior. Strange stuff.

4. Zhe Wiz

Zhe Wiz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I think the author was answering a different question. Rather than answering "which car is better" he was answering "which car is the most important hybrid". Probably a concession to advertising dollars. He found a way for both cars to "win".

Jack

5. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

His monotone droning is enough for Motor Trend to need to think about hiring someone with inflection in their voice. Reminds me of a recent news conference.

And I don't think "pricing within reach of nearly every pocketbook" for $20,000 is an accurate statement. He pulls a lot of stuff like that out of thin air, with no data to back it up. Just opinion.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

'Nearly every pocketbook' is a bit of a stretch, but being cheaper does make a hybrid an option for more people.

7. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Scientific American has a report on their site today.

April 16, 2009
    Ten things to look for in the new Prius hybrid sedan Slide Show

An overview piece:

".........My instant review: It's improved and not nearly the generic "people pod" transportation it used to be. The new model rides reasonably well and power is prompt, if not overwhelming. And the redesign is still quirky enough to attract true believers and "eco-couples" that comprise the base Prius ownership, albeit still appealing to average buyers who want a regular car. The big benefit is, of course, striking fuel efficiency—the best among sedans on the market........."

#8 of the 10 Things he reports is:

PRIUS FIGHTER Even though Honda's all new Insight hybrid is smaller than the midsize Prius, many observers consider the Insight to be the Prius' biggest competitor. The fact that Toyota has reportedly slashed the Prius's price by as much as $4,000 to match the Insight's $20,000 price tag seems to confirm that view. The Insight, a five-door, five-passenger model, has an EPA rating of 40 miles per gallon (17 kilometers per liter) city and 43 mpg (18 kpl) highway.

Wonder if he's referring to Japan - or has an 'insight' into upcoming U.S. pricing? :eyebrows:
    I can't include a url link (under 5 posts here - actually my first..) But would be available at: sciam.com/article

BTW - I am not a Prius owner yet (have Lexus RX300). Very seriously considering the '10 -have a $500 deposit at my dealer, and plan to put another one down at a larger dealer 25 miles away. Very excited about the Prius release. And thanks to all of you providing a wealth of information under my belt. Sincere thanks for all your input! :welcome:

8. thomatt12

thomatt12 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree, it is quite a weird comparison indeed between the Honda Insight and the Toyota Prius. Not because the Insight is cheaper, does it necessarily mean that it is a better car than the Prius.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Article date:
    Somehow I doubt if we'll see this article cited many times in the future. There are too many 2010s around.

Bob Wilson