1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mud Flaps, and where to buy them

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Headshop, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Headshop

Headshop New Member

Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker! I took delievery of my 2006 #8 seaside blue on Jan 01 and am absolutely in love with this car. (though I am a gadget guy, so of course I would love something as hi-tech as a prius) Anyway, Ive had my windows tinted and am scheduled for a clear bra installation on Monday which will be followed smartly by a complete Zaino application. Living on a gravel road like I do, my poor baby gets dirty quick. Im definetly interested in purchasing a set of mud flaps for her and am wondering.. Who sells them?? I cant track down the BT Tech web site (thought i had it saved in internet explorer) and google doesnt give a hit either (at least in the first 50 searches.. jut the one to the Priuschat special offers) Any ideas who sells a good quality set of mud flaps?

thanks in advance!

Dean

Ps.. if you live on a gravel road.. or drive on one frequently, keep an eye out on the wheel wells.. it seems the gravel and dust likes to collect at the bottom of the wells where theres a fairly large lip... a garden hose should keep them clear.. but you wouldnt want to let it sit very long as it would accelerate rotting!

2. notsure

notsure New Member

I did a search on forums modifcations and found a bunch of sites, bought mine out of canada can't recall the site though sorry.

3. joelparks

joelparks New Member

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

try LangleyToyotaTown lots have ordered from them.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Coastal E Tech. They do keep the car cleaner in all this rain.

6. Jim06

Jim06 Member

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Thanks for the link, Jim. Just today my dealer's parts dept. told me he couldn't get them.

8. Jim06

Jim06 Member

My pleasure.

9. chinook-hybrid

chinook-hybrid New Member

I bought my Toyota of Canada OEM mud flaps through sigma automotive. Their website is http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php

They sell Toyota OEM parts from Canada, Japan and Europe. I also bought the Japan OEM console organizer which is much more functional than the "tray" we get in the states. I was very happy with the customer service of sigma automotive. I was personally guaranteed that everything would be fully compatible with my '06 if not they offer a full refund. Because they import these parts from overseas they make purchases on set dates. Why Toyota USA doesn't offer mud flaps is beyond me. In the NW we get more than enough rain to need them.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mine came with them, but I believe all Canadian ones are equipped with the mud flaps. Good point on the dirt accumulation at the "ledge" in front of the rear wheels.

It's a good idea to jack up the rear end every fall and spring, remove the rear wheels, and hose off the inner fender lip, the suspension (Lots of buildup on the axle beam), and that "ledge" at the bottom of the wheel well.

11. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any loss in MPG for the Mudflaps?

Cathy
    OCprius.com

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    None that I can tell. The car sure is cleaner. I got mine from <a href=\'http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=86\' target=\'_blank\'>MetroTPN.com</a>, a PriusChat Sponsor!

13. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My response to the same question in another Topic

I had my mud guards Port installed for $79. No shipping or installation costs, plus they're included in the vehicle warranty. I considered self-installation until I read about removing/reinstalling part of the inner fender liner and having to "drill" some holes. No, thank you.

I even got a few hundred $$ discount on my car, so maybe I really got the mud guards for free.

14. Clar

Clar Member

Bill, according to web site:

Protect your vehicle from whatever the road can kick up with these Toyota molded mudguard. Available in black only.
    Minor drilling required for some vehicles

Is there any drilling involved for Prius? Thanx.

15. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, You have to drill one hole for each front flap (1/4") and three holes for each rear flap (1/4" and 1/8"). All drilling is into plasic, not metal so no rust issues. No fender liners need to be removed. You have to take the rear wheels off for drilling, the fronts you can turn for access. You use the flap held in place as the drilling template.

They are very easy to install. I have done both an '05 and an '06 (they are identical).

- Tom

16. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

I installed mine myself.

Took me about an hour and a half from start to finish but only because I used the included jack... and well I won't make that mistake again.

Yes it involves drilling and as Tom says there is no drilling through metal.

If I can do it with little to no experience, anyone else here can!

ETA:

Two spots upfront total need to be drilled (bottom on both)

All three on each side have to be drilled in the back. The rear tires need to be dismounted to do this.

17. Clar

Clar Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try to get one set soon.

18. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What am I missing?

For $79, they come either port or dealer installed. If you're just looking to spend time with your Prius, put a coat of wax on it.

19. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Most US dealers don't offer this. It's not a "port option" everywhere. They don't even carry them in their parts departments.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    dealers in the realm of southeast toyota carry mudflaps in stock.