1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mud Flaps/Spash Guards - Affects on Fuel Economy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Blue-Adept, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am going to install mudfaps/ Spash Guards on my Prius. Does any one have any info on how this affects MPG.
    Thanks
    Blue

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had my splash guards put on last Fall, and I'm getting 52MPG over the last couple of tanks. That's better around-town MPGs than I got last year, even in late Summer after 10,000 miles. Nearly 23K now.

I'm thinking 'hot' gasoline rather than some new aerodynamics based on having the guards on, but until I see another MPG change I have no idea what's up...

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I imagine it's pretty insignificant. The car is so aerodynamic anyway. It probably disturbs airflow around the car as much as that antenna and the windshield wipers do.

I have experienced no MPG change, but we installed mudguards after 200 miles. We are now at about 750 miles. I don't get great MPG in the first place because my commute is a whopping 2.5 miles, but I manage 43-44 on a regular basis.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very little. A search way back when we first started putting these on found me very concerned too. In fact my first bit of driving after installing them had me down several mpg...but eventually it climbed back up and you can look at my LMPG by clicking the link in my sig.

I think the benefit is clearly worth the very minor added drag.

5. Chrisus

Chrisus Junior Member

Did anyone install their own mudflaps? Do you have to drill any holes? How is the fit? Im planning on getting some once I get my car.

6. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No noticable change in gas mileage...i was able to put them on with the self tapping screws that came with it...on the front you can turn the tires, on the back, use a very small phillips screwdriver and you wont have to take the back tire off...just follow the written instructions and its easy...

7. Floyd

Floyd New Member

Chrisus: I just installed some from www.metrotpn.com today and it was a piece of cake. You need an elec. drill, 3/32 & a 1/4" drill bit, & phillips hd. screwdriver.
    The only major thing you have to do is jack up the rear end & remove the back tires (one at a time); this is so you can drill some mounting holes in the plastic. They were a perfect fit and the instructions were very clear. I thought of painting the mud guards but rocks and road debris would eventually chip up the paint.

I doubt seriously that gas mileage would be affected.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're standard here in Canada and I'm still able to get the high mileage (currently at 54mpg). So I don't think it'll have *that* much of an effect.

9. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i havent noticed any noticeable difference. and if there was i'll take it rather than the headaches and aggravation of spashes, stubborn road tar and asphalt all of which i had a problem without the splash guards.

10. Chrisus

Chrisus Junior Member

Thanks Floyd! I mentioned the flaps to the delaer and he said they werent available. I said they are in Canada and he was going to check on them. Othereise Ill order them online. I installed them on my mazda and they were a perfect fit! Do yours fit exactly too or are thers flaps that are sort of universal?

11. Floyd

Floyd New Member

Chrisus: They were made for the Prius and they fit the exact contour. In other words, they fit like a golve!

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what??? we bought ours at the dealer (in NC), they were even in stock! talk to a different parts guy.

13. Chrisus

Chrisus Junior Member

Thanks guys. I talked to two different delaers locally and they both said they werent made due to aerodynamic reasons. I cant beleiev such a small thing would have a major affect. Same with the body side molding. I want both to guard against chips, tar and dings.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow. i would find a dealer who know what the #$%@ he's talking about- if they don't know the prius has mudflaps (what kind of company doesn't make mudflaps available for a new car?) and they think they're not available because the the 'massive mpg hit' which is really 1mpg or less.... i really wouldn't trust either of them to FIX my car should it ever need fixing.

in the meantime you can get the part from Metro Toyota, metrotpn.com. I'm not sure about the side moldings, someone else will have to tell you where to get those.

install them yourself (it's easy) and take the car back to the dealer and tell them they suck. that's what i would do. good luck!

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have them on my car. No noticable mpg hit. They look really nice. :) i recommend them to anyone. your car stays cleaner.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Prius came with the "mudflaps" as standard and they appear to work well with no noticeable MPG penalty.

I'm trying to find door mouldings to protect from door dings. I just had two dents fixed at $78 and am getting sick and tired of some SUV moron slamming their heavy door into my car.

I'm having a hard time finding mouldings that don't look like they were standard equipment on a 1974 Ford Esquire station wagon. Yuck! :pukeright:

17. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Effect of front and rear mudflaps on fuel economy is minimal. The positive effect is they help keep the vehicle clean. I notice more road dust and grime on the rear "bumper" than on the sides. The sides stay clean.

18. Chrisus

Chrisus Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"83678)</div>
    Well, not sure about that LAST part, but I will put them on myself. Have on all my others cars. :) The dealer i ordered through also told me Id have my car in 30-60 days! I find that one a bit hard to believe but they claim to be the areas biggest Prius dealer and get more of them and faster than anyone. Uh huh, and he has a bridge in brooklyn for me also!

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jayman, someone here used the Highlander bodyside mouldings on their Prius. Perhaps you can try that.

20. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I have the flaps from Coastal on my Prius. I suspect they are the same as the other fitted flaps. They look awesome. They were very easy to install, but I did have to drill. I used my dremal with the bendy extention. That made it much easier on my heart when I went to put holes in my new baby. :cry: I haven't seen any mpg effects, but I put them on very early. If you think about where they are, they are in horribly turbulent air flow from the wheels. If they were on top of the car, yeah, they would hurt the aerodynamics. Behind the wheels, though, the effect would be negligble.