1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mud Guards & Bra: Upset Aerodynamics??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by JimboK, May 1, 2006.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello to all from a long-time guest/lurker, finally a new member!

First, many thanks to all of you for providing an incredible amount and quality of information. It's been invaluable to me in my pre- and post-purchase phases of Prius research.

Second, a quick intro (I might take time for more later): I'm in central Virginia right outside of Richmond. I bought a new '05 Seaside Pearl, package #2, in 12/05. It has 7000+ miles now. Love the car!

Third, the main point of my post: Is there any way a front end bra and/or, especially, mud guards upset aerodynamics enough to drop fuel mileage signficantly? This past Saturday I installed the black Toyota front end bra and mud guards. The first drive later that day was about a 50 mile round trip across town and back, mainly interstate, 65-70 MPH on average, temp in the upper 60s. I have a pretty good handle now on what fuel mileage to expect (based on MFD display) in varying driving conditions and temperatures, and in these conditions I've been able to get MPG in the low 50s or better. I noticed on the first leg of the trip MPGs (as shown by the MFD 5-minute fuel mileage bars) in the upper 40s. I thought at first I might be running into a headwind. But it was no better on the return trip an hour or so later. Weather was clear and stable (i.e., little likelihood of a dramatic shift in wind speed or direction). In fact, I filled up across town before the return trip and drove more conservatively on the trip, with the MFD showing total of 47 MPG+ for the tankful when I got off the highway.

At this point, my theory is that the mud guards upset high-speed aerodynamics enough to cause the drop. Does this seem plausible or even probable, and has anyone else experienced this with mud guards? And what to some may seem a silly question: Is there any way the bra could have contributed to it? My non-engineer's mind and logic suggest not, but I figured I'd ask. The bra doesn't change the external profile of the car like the mud guards do.

Interestingly, my 8-mile commute this morning, most of which is at 45 or 55 mph, was pretty typical: about 25 MPG for the first 5 minutes as it warmed up and about 50 MPG for the second. I didn't go out at all yesterday (Sunday), so I have no other observations to offer.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Jim

2. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Assuming 4 mpg drop.
    Assuming 10,000 miles driven in a year.
    Assuming $3 gas.
    Assuming $100 total spent on mudflaps and bra.
    51 mpg is 196 gallons of gas used. 47 mpg is 212 gallons used. Difference is 16 gallons or $48.

Or return the mud flaps and bra, add the $100 to your gas tank and voila; equates to you getting 61 mpg over the same 10,000 mile period (61 mpg is 163 gallons used, 33 gallons less than the 51 mpg rate).

So get your money back and enjoy dinner and a movie, go to the ball park, or buy a kill-a watt http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=18148&hl=

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ May 1 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]248039[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I added mudflaps and the MPG had no change. Still get 51.5 to 54.5 MPG. My MPG depends more on things like traffic flow, luck (catching signals or not catching them at the right time), and since I have a set route each day (although different from day to day), a lot of it depends on when I fill up. If I fill up before my uphill commute, then I have a different outcome then if I fill up before my downhill commute. Either way it averages out to around 52.5-53 MPG.

I do not have a bra, so I can not comment on that one. However, I can advise you to give it a few tanks before making a judgement. You could just have a "bad" tank of gas...it may even out as things go.