1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mudflaps????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by gblatt, Aug 6, 2005.

1. gblatt

gblatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've seen a couple of ads on ebay for genuine Toyota mudflaps. I guess they aren't available as an option here in the USA so my dealer can't get them. Anyway, how easy are they to install? Do I have to drill holes in the body to install them?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very easy to install, worst part is removing the rear wheels for a few seconds. Yes, you have to drill a few holes in the plastic of the wheel wells...it's really not hard, not a big deal and just takes a few minutes.

3. gblatt

gblatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. I was afraid I would have to drill into sheet metal to install them.

4. RetiredProf

RetiredProf New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I can do it, anyone can... I did.

6. passthepumps

passthepumps New Member

Just a word of CAUTION with OEM pre-molded contoured mudflaps!! I installed similar mudflaps on a Surburan (recently traded for my Prius) last year while in upstate New York. The OEM type mudflaps typically install inside the wheel well with screws and/or plastic grommets and designed to have a 2" or so pre-molded overlap that lies onto the exterior painted metal surface of the wheel well. This overlap extends onto the "pristine" painted area around the wheel well. Dirt, grit, dust, small peebles, and general road debris will collect behind this overlap and scratch the paint. In reviewing all available "OEM" mudflaps I have yet to read any disclaimers about this issue. The road debris that collects behind the overlap will scratch your paint job unless they are installed very,very tightly to the "pristine" painted surface. If debris collects behind this type of mudflap the continuous friction created by vehicle motion,wind, and general driving will take its toll!! I have yet to see any of this type mudflap that fit "super" tight to the exterior painted surface to avoid the collection of debris. The possible solution to this issue is to install a 3M type clear painted protective sheet onto the exterior painted area where the abrasions will occur prior to installation of the OEM mudflap. Another solution may be to seek the "old style" flaps that just hangs from inside the wheel well. I would strongly suggest if you live in a "road debris" proned area check for the paint damage before it gets too bad. When I realized the damage on my then, brand new Surburan, it was too late. Thanks for the site and the future replies, if any!!!

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Would it be practical to run a bead of clear silicone sealant along the seam between the wheelwell and the flap?

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had the Canadian splash guards for almost 2 years and have never had this problem. They fit the body contour very well. Can't speak for those presently on eBay.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I, too, have the Canadian one. They do get some grit in that seam...but not a lot. I guess there's a chance it could lead to some abrasion, but I don't intend to take off the flaps during the life of the car so it won't matter. Not worried about corrosion b/c the part is plastic that the flap is mounted to.

Not something I'd waste time worrying about and I definately prefer less spray all over my car that the flaps provide. Not to mention that they look a LOT better than some cheapo dangly flap.

10. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I installed the OEMs from Sigma Automotive and noticed that they don't stop all the spray. It's because of the car's aerodynamic design. There is practicly no fender flair so the flaps would have to extend up the fender another foot or so (which would look pretty lame) and stick out a few more inches. Oh well.

11. passthepumps

passthepumps New Member

Hello Jack06, silicone sealant may very well be an option. Applying that product is somewhat of an art and carefully done it would never show. I imagine if I had the contoured flaps already installed I would clean the area well and spray behind the flaps (if they appear loose or receptive to road debris) and then apply the aforementioned sealant. Another option is to remove the flaps and clean behind them very well and assess any damage. My initial post was a matter of concern rather than alarm because I have personally seen the damage to a perfect paint job that this type of mudflap can do. Thanks!!

12. slortz

slortz New Member

Everytime I hear someone say "mudflaps," I think of the line out of one of Spinal Tap's songs. "Big bottom, big bottom! Talk about mudflaps, my girl's got 'em!" :lol: Great movie.

13. jimklausner

jimklausner Connecticut Yankee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone bought/installed the mudflaps sold by MetroTpn? If so, what is your opinion of the product and of the installation procedure?

14. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Quote gblatt regarding MudGuards: "I guess they aren't available as an option here in the USA..."

Actually, OEM MudGuards ARE available on the 2007 Touring Edition, Package 6, Extra Mile Option A - available in the 5-state Disbributer Region based in Houston Texas. It seems "packages" vary in other U.S. Regions, so I can't be sure about other areas.

The Mudguards were accidentally omitted from my '07 Touring but ordered and installed by the Dealer, no cost to me.

15. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ConnecticutYankee @ Dec 12 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]361023[/snapback]</div>
    That's where I got mine.

My main reason for buying them is to protect the sides of the car from the gravel on the 1/4 mile driveway I drive daily. So far, so good; no dings from rocks. And it seems to help with mud too.

The installation was straightforward, though as others in this thread indicate, the rear wheels must be removed and some holes must be drilled for the rear. The drilling is easy. It's in the non-metallic part of the lower wheel well where the bumper cover material wraps around the side.

16. jimklausner

jimklausner Connecticut Yankee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Dec 12 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]361033[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. Mine is also a '07 Prius Touring, but I did not roder package 6. However, I am calling my dealer's parts department and body shop to ask about availability of mudguards.

Again, thanks for the reply.

17. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Dec 12 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]361087[/snapback]</div>
    And they look cool, too!

18. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Dec 12 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]361146[/snapback]</div>
    Why, thank you! You must have seen my car at Chesterfield Town Center last week! :)

19. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that Corolla mudflaps are a bit cheaper than the Prius ones, almost $30 (depending on seller). I've also heard that the Prius uses a Corolla chassis. Wondering if anybody's put corolla mudflaps on their prius? or knows weather or not they'll fit. If not i'll just suck it up, but wanted to be sure. (couldn't find anything in other old threads.)

20. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgills240 @ Feb 28 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]398216[/snapback]</div>
    I recommend Deland_Toyata on ebay. $39.99 and good service.
    TOYOTA PRIUS MUDGUARDS MUD FLAPS 2004 - 2007 MUDGUARD