1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mudguards good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by auart, Aug 23, 2006.

1. auart

auart Junior Member

I got my mudguards in the mail today from a dealer in Florida, got a good price.
    After looking at them I am wondering if its a good idea. Does anyone have these? Any problems with them scraping when you pass over a speed bump or anything? There isn't much ground clearance with these.
    They are Toyota Parts.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great idea. No problem with clearances. And they will protect your car from splashes and mud...within reason. I noticed I didn't have those fans of mud behind my front tires after I installed them.

Do drill a hole and put a third screw on the very inside corner of the back flaps.

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They're a good idea. As you drive, minute particles of road grit are being spewed upwards along the sides of the car and after a few thousand miles, you will begin to notice the paint being worn. Stiff flaps will prevent this. Contrary to what you might hear, there is no measurable mileage penalty for installling them. Make sure you get good ones that are stiff. Mine look like factory installs. I got mine from Toyotatown in Langely, British Columbia. At the time, they weren't readily available in the US. Had the dealer install them at the tire rotation at 5000 miles. Only drawback is if you go over curbs; you can crack them. I installed single wire curb feelers to the bottoms of the flaps and have not scraped a curb since.
    Bob

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're installed as standard equipment in Canada. They help keep leaves, mud and other stuff off the paint. Just remember to clean out the mudguards regularly.

5. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Give some thought to the installation. Drilling a hole (thus perforating the coatings) is a good way to start rust. Using a stainless screw and sealing the area is an absolute must!

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ Aug 23 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]308700[/snapback]</div>
    The hole is drilled into plastic. No new holes are made in any metal or perforate any coating. Stainless screws are a good idea.