1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Muffler has a small hole in it - other than the sound, any reason to care?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cdgreg, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    '07 Prius, 167k miles, hybrid battery replaced at 155k, live in NY, plan to drive it into the ground.

Earlier this week, my car was at the dealership (AC Condenser) and I asked the tech to give it a good once over to try to gauge predictable costs over the next 1-2-3 years. The only thing he noticed was my muffler has a small hole in it. This is not surprising as I have noticed it has had a louder exhaust note as of late, what I would consider "the old toyota sound." I think they quoted $300-400ish to replace the muffler.

I plan to drive this car into the ground, but do not want to spend money unnecessarily. Other than the slightly louder sound, is there any need to fix this small muffler hole? Will not repairing the muffler damage any other components?

Thank you in advance

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That small hole could be the tip of the iceberg. Lay down by the back, grab ahold and give it a good shake. If it sounds like a rust castanet, might be time to treat it.

Prodigyplace and Cdgreg like this.
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You could try the patch products they have in auto parts stores before it rusts all over. Might be able to save it. I've tried to patch holes in the past and then another hole develops somewhere else....

Cdgreg likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That depends. In a previous car, I had a muffler hole at the top of the front end, blocked from the direct windstream and pointed up at the rear footwell. Climbing a significant grade in August, the hot exhaust blasting out overheated the metal footwell floorpan and started smoking the carpet inside. On level ground, before and after, there wasn't enough heat to cause a problem.

If the hole is pointed away from the floorpan, then this problem won't happen.

Cdgreg likes this.
  5. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on where the hole is located, what you can and can't see. There may be multiple small holes on the body or at the seams. I just went through this as my NYS inspection was due before the end of the month. My muffler started leaking last August. Other than the sound (which for a Prius is not loud at all), I drove it that way until last week. I was able to get a muffler for 66.00 through Advance Auto by stacking discounts. Retail was 159.00 I believe. My Prius has 293,000 miles so I AM driving it until it drops... I just wanted to ensure that it would pass inspection.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Plan.
    My condolences on the condenser.
    The tech's quote wasn't bad for a dealer (surprisingly) but a muffler shop might be cheaper yet.
    I'd kick this repair to the right a little.....

Another good plan!
    As long as there is sufficient back-pressure, no.....and the catalytic converter and pipes take care of that part.
    There isn't any harm in letting the muffler continue to deteriorate, IMHO.
    If you can find the hole placing a patch might delay exterior corrosion, but your muffler is rotting from the inside out from moisture that the engine kicks out before it's warmed up. You'll see this as vapor, and sometimes as a drip from your fellow motorists pipes in the morning, and it's like arterial clogging.
    Everybody has some......and it's something that cannot be avoided altogether......especially if you live in the far northern regions (anywhere above I-40) and frequently take short trips.
    What the exterior patch will do is stop exterior corrosion from spreading at that one spot, but if the muffler is severely corroded on the inside then a(nother) hole will quickly develop.

I'd wait until the noise gets a little louder, but you do not want to irritate neighbors or get a ticket if you live where loud exhausts draw some attention from the local constabulary.
    If you have no close neighbors, or don't like the ones that you do have......you can probably wait a bit longer.

Good Luck!

Cdgreg likes this.
  7. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated. I will definitely check out where the hole is located. I have quite a few little shops around me, I may see if they can patch it for a few bucks now. I am lucky to have a somewhat decent dealership about 4 miles away, they passed it inspection wise the same day they made me aware of the muffler hole, and "only" charged about $560 for the diagnostic and condenser replacement after a $60 coupon. I was fearing $1,500+.

They have been good about helping me work with Toyota USA on the Goodwill hybrid battery replacement and combining maintenance jobs and charging "actual" time as compared to stacking book times. They do not outright offer any of this, but after asking and politely pushing they work with me. LeBrun Toyota in Canandaigua, NY if anyone is curious.

SFO likes this.
  8. anothergirl

anothergirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same issue. Took my 2007 in for inspection this week and was told there was a hole in the muffler not bad enough to fail inspection. I was also quoted $300-400 for the job. My mechanic has a stellar reputation and I trust him. He said I could let it go for a while if I wanted to. Would the job be cheaper at the box muffler places? Would you all trust the box muffler places? Would it be worth buying the part on my own and taking it to my mechanic for installation? Are they generally offended by that approach?

9. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not to be melodramatic. But since you live in NY a hole or leak anywhere in your exhaust has the potential to cost you your life. Imagine being stuck in a Snow Drift with the underside of the car enveloped in snow. Your cold, need heat, the car is running and CO2 is seeping into the car. You can see the problem here. You should get ANY exhaust leak fixed.

anothergirl and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    anothergirl likes this.
  11. anothergirl

anothergirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One minor detail, CO, Carbon Monoxide! Do yourself and your passengers a favor, replace it!

anothergirl likes this.