1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

muffler shield binga binga harmonic ringing.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hawaiiguide, Oct 12, 2007.

1. hawaiiguide

hawaiiguide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We couldn't find a similar post on the Muffer Heat Shield on the forum...

There may be a ghost noise under our Prius's truck area. The noise only happens on rough roads. It does't sound like the typical low octive rattle. More like a tinga, tingaling. Sorry about the not being able to use words to describe sounds.

Tickling the cars underbody seems faily solid. We noticed however, that if the muffler heat shield is plucked it creates an interesting harmonic boooing... we were wondering if this could be our rear end ghost.

Anyone else had this situation or recommendations on how to quiet down an occational noisy rear end. We have dampend all of the tools in the lower trunk comparment... There doesn't seem to be anything loose inside the car.

Any Ideas... you guys are great at solving problems. :)
    richard

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you may be right... but i think it could be a little different. i recently installed a sub and could not find my out-of-car rattle. i thought it was the heat shield but the rattle did not go away when i touched it.

or.. i could be wrong. i'll search when it's not raining.. or wet outside.

3. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm currently chasing down a noise, kind of high pitched, happens over bumps or rough roads.
    I discovered that with light brake pressure, the noise is gone.
    Easy for you to try, good luck.....Dan.

4. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, mine has the same rattle. I actually found it when I was messing around the battery, adding a wire from the battery post to a ham radio. I can hit the floor there by the battery with my hand and it makes that rattle. Now that the temperature has gone down, I hear that exact same rattle when I'm driving. At least I know where it's coming from! I assume its under the trunk floor right side.

5. hawaiiguide

hawaiiguide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Oct 14 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]525648[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, You are rignt. Rattle is under the trunk on the passenger side. I think it is the heat shield. If one give the muffler heat shield a tap it resonates. I wonder how many bolts are under the car that may be coming loose or may be tightened? Has anyone looked under the car to check on loose bolts?

Any ideas anyone.

Thanks, richard

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bolts? doesn't the prius clip together? lol

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There may be small stones in the heat shield.

8. pjschwartz

pjschwartz New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawaiiguide @ Oct 12 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]524974[/snapback]</div>
    I've got the same exact problem happening on rough roads . . . "tinga, tingaling" . . . I've had the entire rear deck apart and can't find the source. I one point, I thought it was the license plate, but confirmed it wasn't.

Were you able to prove your theory re the exhaust shield?