1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mulch

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Linny, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Linny

Linny New Member

I know this topic may sound trivial with so many social and world issues to discuss...but I've just gotta throw this burning issue out there. Spring is waking up the home landscaping enthusiasts around here and everyone's mulching away. I know taste is a subjective thing but I've got to put my foot down about ORANGE MULCH. It's very popular here, especially with commercial landscapers. I'm sorry but I just think it's awful. The whole world looks like a scene from Fantasia. I'd love to implement an ordinance that forbids the application such unnatural looking mulches. At least in the front yard. Soil is brown, people, not weird rusty orange (okay...I know some smart a** is gonna tell me where soil is naturally orange...and I don't mean clay). Is anybody with me on this? Can you help me be more compassionate toward orange mulch??? Thanks.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol:

Spectacular tirade!

Hey, I AGREE!

That crap IS obnoxious! I don't mind a deep red, such that it's almost brown, but the bright stuff... I'm in full agreement!

3. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Agreed. I prefer the deep red/brown stuff, too. I also like the smell and feel of mulch... I just love working in the mud and planting, digging, etc! Spring is here!! :)
    It's 91 degrees outside! :blink: :huh: :eek:

4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds hideous. Fortunately I haven't seen that.

5. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Apr 3 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]234364[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. I cannot say that I have ever even heard of Orange mulch, much less ever seen it in NW Ohio... is this a new product or something???

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Linny, you're going to fit in perfectly here :lol:

i agree, that sounds disgusting. sort of like the unnaturally orange cheese sauce on packaged mac and cheese. it's just not natural!

7. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, Linny... is that a Corgi I see in your avatar??? I hoping to have a red and white Pembroke Welsh corgi someday...

8. Linny

Linny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 3 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]234372[/snapback]</div>
    Well thanks! It's nice to be in such good company!
    I agree...orange mulch is the Velveeta of mulches!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Apr 3 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]234375[/snapback]</div>
    yup bgdrewsf...it is a pembroke...our little girl "Bella." She's a wildwoman. The other one is a Shepbeagle. Too cute, both of them. Hope you get your corgi someday...they're fun. I'd suggest a male though. A bit easier to manage I hear. We have 3 males in our neighborhood. Bella has her share of suitors. Wait till they see her in Mom's Prius!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Apr 3 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]234370[/snapback]</div>
    orange mulch has been around a few years (too long). I'll have to get a picture of it to horrify those of you who haven't seen it in person.

9. Schmika

Schmika New Member

No worse than that awful "rubber" mulch from recycled bicycle tires.

Anyway, all you mulchers, if you are in the northern climes it is WAYYYY to early to mulch. You are putting a blanket on the ground and it will stay (the roots that is) stay colder longer. Let the soil warm up.

(speaking with my "master gardener hat" on- Ohio State University Extension- since 1998)

10. Linny

Linny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Apr 3 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]234421[/snapback]</div>

Good advice! I'm a Master Gardener too! UCONN 2001/02. Still got LOADS to learn!

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've never seen the orange stuff, thank God. But I will warn people about the cocoa mulch. Or however you spell it.

It's toxic to dogs. Don't use it.

12. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A horrifying development in western KY and southern IN is red, white, and blue mulch. You couldn't make this up!

13. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Keep the red & the white, blue mulch sounds fantabulous! :)

14. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Orange / rust colored mulch really peeves me. Not so much because of the look, but because that dye is toxic and penetrates into the soil and down into the aquifer. The gold stuff does it too, but not so bad. Don't get me started on what that rubber mulch does!!!

The reason people use that orange/rust stuff, is because it doesn't fade as quickly as the others and is fairly inexpensive. Personally, I feel they should pass an ordinance which makes it illegal to use any mulch with added dye and to completely outlaw the rubber mulch.

I have a chipper/mulcer that I use almost every week. I use all my yard trash and some of the neighbors (when they place it on the curb). It's all natural and is nature's way of recycling - though I'm not thrilled at using a gas-powered tool to do it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

Yep, I've seen artificially colored black mulch here in DFW for a few years, now I'm starting to see the orange. It just ain't natural.

16. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 3 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]234488[/snapback]</div>

My dog does not run around outside......I like cocoa mulch....why can't i use it?

17. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Apr 4 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]234694[/snapback]</div>
    Yo what's up with THAT?! :angry:

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Apr 4 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]234694[/snapback]</div>

If the mulch is fenced off from other dogs sure. But if someone is walking their dog and it wants to munch on your mulch, dead dog, pissed neighbor.

I imagine dogs aren't the only animals it's toxic too. So it depends on how terminal you want to be to the surrounding animal population.

19. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's wrong with making your own mulch and therefore controlling content.

Schmika, why doesn't your dog go outside?? I can't imagine a dog that doesn't like to go out.

No orange mulch!!

20. Linny

Linny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 3 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]234500[/snapback]</div>
    Dear God...say it isn't so??????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2Hybrids @ Apr 4 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]234623[/snapback]</div>
    YEAH!!!! My heart is filled with joy!
    And your yard looks fabulous too! Rock on!