1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multi-Display replacement report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Oct 11, 2005.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Warning: Long and boring if you're never going to have to deal with having your MFD replaced (ie. Later '05 and on Prii).

I'd had one freeze up experience and am at about 32k miles. Although my extended warranty is supposed to cover the MFD if it fails I just didn't feel like pushing my luck and have been anxious for a long time to have the ability to switch b/w Consumption and Energy screens with the steering wheel button instead of having to touch the screen every time.

Ordered the part at my last oil change over 3 weeks ago. Was told it would be in in less than a week. Waited 9 days, called, originally told it hadn't come in, but then someone asked someone who knew Gene who knows me who said it is in....Cool.

Ok, can I come in to get it installed tomorrow? No, OK, Monday afternoon...no, mornings are best...hmmm...Did out my schedule and schedule the install for 10 days from now (Monday morning this week).

Showed up and they took the car back fairly quickly. Work was done in just about 1.5 hours. The guy who delievered my keys mentioned they didn't know what the wireing I had back there was for, but that it was "My Business"! (My automatic BT speed sensor defeat is the only thing they would have seen) Pristine screen with the protective plastic still on there. The front 'shell' for the screen is also replaced so my velcro holders for my Prius-Hood were gone and I later had to replace those.

I was a little anxious about how much data I'd lose with the change out....
    Turns out it retained the trip miles and mpg (good)--I'd written them down just in case
    All the NAV stuff was good--a nice touch.

But the BT phone was gone--wouldn't connect on start up, all the phone lists were deleted...

Dug out the instructions (only been about 18 months since I last entered anything!!) and set off. Phone connection went quickly and easily. But I knew I'd have to enter the phone entries one at a time. WHAT A CHORE! I guess I have maybe 100 entries that I felt worthy of transfering. I spent a full hour and 20 minutes, had to go from IG ON to READY mode after about 30 minutes and plug the phone into the car charger. Even with the EV button the ICE came on at least twice (maybe 3 times) before I got done. Almost enough to make me wish I'd have kept my old Ericson just to enter phone numbers that I could transfer all at once.

Final 'issue' I have a screen protector that is a harder plastic with a pentagonal shape that the point of the pentagon slides in at the bottom...with the new display I can't get that to slide in there...like there's an extra screw or something blocking it. Guess I'll go without a screen protector for a while...but I shouldn't need it as much since I don't have to touch the screen to switch the Energy and Consumption!

Long story, but several of those 'issues' I wasn't aware of before having my display changed.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

In the diagnostics, there is something mentioned about saving data, I wonder if with the THHT that is actually possible.