1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multi-Display Screens

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by markymo01, Oct 28, 2008.

1. markymo01

markymo01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello people,

I read where some people were getting into the diagnosis screens. Is this a place we should venture into? Is it just for technicians only? I don't want to go in there to look around and change important settings by mistake!

Seems safe, just want to make sure.

Thanks

Mark

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    as long as you just stay within lan monitor and reading the codes , i think the screens are pretty safe. not 100 % sure what 'memory clear' does. that might be bad. i think the deeper menu (upper left lower right) is where you can do some serious damage, like taking out your navigation system...

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You raise a great point, Mark.

If you're not comfortable in there then it's best to stay out. I'm not just talking to you but to every in general. It would be unfortunate for someone to make some unforeseen changes and then rail against PriusChat for giving them the knowledge.

So in general, if doing something makes you nervous, it's best to either all-out not do it or research it until you are fully confident.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a couple buttons there that'll really screw things up and require a mechanical reset...the LOAD button in particular can do some ugly things.

There are some old threads that tell you some of the safe things you can do...I'd advise finding those and playing with the ones known safe, the rest can get you where all you can see is Japanese characters or otherwise crash your system.

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i think if u go into the main screen
    (press display, then tap the corners 3 times)
    thats more or less okay

but if you go into the advanced screen (left corner , right corner) that is where you can do some serious damage.

the neat feature about the mfd is that it keeps logs on all the errors, which can be minor like one of your mp3 files is not in reality an mp3 file, your disc inserted upside down, to more serious errors, like ram errors, rom errors, speaker wires, or a faulty bluetooth module.

i got so upset about reading all these posts saying that the mfd codes were "useless and can be safely ignored", i posted thier definitions in the knowledge base. so when you see something like 01-22-110-xx-255 you will know what it means

01-22-110-xx-255 "I have detected BAD RAM in your MFD display 255 times!"

anything in lan monitor that reports as 'EXCH' means it has gone bad and needs to be replaced