1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multi Information Display intermittently freezes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bmillerbiop, May 1, 2007.

1. bmillerbiop

bmillerbiop New Member

Has anybody encountered this? A couple days after a dealer service, my "Multi Information Display" panel intermittently freezes up, then works, then freezes up, etc. The screens still display, and things like the 5-minute interval bar graph on the Consumption screen still advances, but the real-time data is missing. Eg. the moment-by-moment bar graph doesn't change, and the mileage data is blank or frozen at the same number. The audio screen might show "Audio Off" when a CD is playing. If I can get the Climage Control screen to come up, the buttons are unresponsive - or the screen doesn't appear at all, but instead there's a message "Check the connection of the air conditioner". Then 15-20 minutes later, everything is working again, and the mileage and fuel economy appear accurate, as tho it is continuing to calculate properly all along. Even when acting up, the climate and audio controls still work from the steering wheel and lower dash.

Think maybe some electrical plug got knocked loose when changing the cabin air filter or some such thing? I don't want the dealer to tell me I need a new $3000 computer!

Thanks in advance!
    -Bill

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need a new $3000 display....

Ok, depending upon what service was performed they could have knocked a plug loose..and that should be checked.

And the $3000 display should only be about $400 as a refurb.

And, if you're still within the 3 yr/36k warranty OR if you have the extended warranty it should be covered.

But, more than likely, your display is going bad and needs to be replaced....welcome to the club.

3. Hannahspip

Hannahspip New Member

To be clear on the context:
    I have an '04 Prius with 81,000 + miles on it (don't know the package # - its pretty basic, though);
    have had regular service done exclusively at the dealer where I bought the car;
    recently had the water pump replaced at their suggestion;
    When I took the car yesterday the screen was acting up as you fellahs have described:
    no current data on the consumption screen,
    no access to the climate controls - check A/C message - but the steering wheel buttons seem to still work,
    no access to the audio screen - says Audio is off - but, again, the steering wheel buttons and the hard buttons on the dash seem to work, as does the radio itself; sometimes spontaneously turns itself off but comes right back on when I push the button on the dash.
    The MFD occasionally works properly and then freezes up again.
    I gather that this is not an unknown problem and that I may be able to get Toyota to help with the fix or at least get my dealer to turn it from a $4,000 fix into a $400 refurb. There seems to be some feeling out there that this should be a recall but it hasn't happened yet.
    Am I missing anything? Any further suggestions? Is this a hardware or software problem? Is there some secret way to do a reset on the software? Should I mess around trying connections first? Most importantly, can things go from bad to worse and I or my wife get stranded someplace?

4. Trillion

Trillion New Member

I just encountered same problem in my 04 at about 75K. It happened just as I was leaving the dealership after my routine service, so I thought they might have missed a re-connection somewhere. At first the service rep said they couldn't replicate my problem. I told them to try driving the car around. I assume they did this because after a while they called and said they saw the problem but COULD NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT EXCEPT REPLACE THE UNIT AT $4,200. The serice rep (Micheal Dong at City Toyota in Daly City, CA) told me he would try asking Toyota for a "goodwill" assistance under which they'd replace the faulty console with a refurb for around $500.00. I was still upset by this, although compared to $4,200 it seemed at least do-able. Got a call from Mr. Dong saying Toyota was not going for the "goodwill assistance" he had mentioned.
    I don't plan on taking this one sitting down. My husband did some online research for me and found this to be a recurring problem in the 04's. This is not a part that "wears down" like brakes :angry: . If enough folks are having this issue, Toyota ought to have some protocol besides trying to sell a $4,200 part. Who would go for that? My husband and I drive Toyotas because they are known for quality and customer service. I am very dissapointed. Would like to hear any advice. Yes, I have an extended Platinum Warranty. Service rep told me it only covers the power train.

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trillion @ Jun 27 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]469004[/snapback]</div>
    He is wrong. It is covered by the Toyota extended warranty. It is not on the List of Excluded Components.

7. acdii

acdii Active Member

It could also be the wiring harness on the radio. My 07 had the display go out and the tech traced it down to a short in the connector on the back of the radio, the MFD was fine.

8. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hannahspip @ May 20 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]446364[/snapback]</div>
    AFAIK the intermittent issue with the MFD is a wiring issue.. as a test... try turning up the A/C to the warmest possible (obviously not with you in the car, heh)... the MFD should work fine then. The reverse (max cold) will most likely have it malfunctioning again. I saw this explanation posted here or in priusonline quite a while ago when it happened to me at 36k-ish. I had purchased the extended warranty, and the replacement was covered by it.

As far as getting stranded... no concern with that.

9. Hannahspip

Hannahspip New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trillion @ Jun 27 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]469004[/snapback]</div>

10. Hannahspip

Hannahspip New Member

I've called my dealer. He said that the refurbished screens are no longer avaiable. He also said that Toyota has offered to discount the cost so that the replacement would "only" cost about $2,000. I agree with trillion that this it is completely unreasonable of Toyota to charge 10 or 20% of the cost of a new Prius to replace a part that had a manufacturer's defect when the car was delivered and just took longer than the warranty period to actually fail. I'd certainly like to help "persuade" Toyota to take a more responsible line on this issue. Is there anyone out there who knows what buttons to push to make this happen?

The tip about turning the AC up didn't work in my car. The system does work sporadically and there does seem to be a connection to the radio (it shuts off when the system comes on while driving).

I haven't taken the car to the dealer to have him check out connections. I'm not sure I think the service department is capable of doing that in a thoughtful way. Anyone know of a Toyota service department in the Boston area that has some quality electrical techs and won't overcharge me?

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has the cause of this problem ever been made public? What does Toyota do when they remanufacture these failed MFDs?

12. Hannahspip

Hannahspip New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jul 1 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]471293[/snapback]</div>

Not that I know of.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    refurbs are no longer available for the classic prius

DH's writer missed that too and told him they were discontinued, we were in shock. but no, all versions of the mfd are still around for the gen 2 prius. cost around $500, maybe a bit more, plus tax and install fees.

still no word on what's being done to refurbish the things, unfortunately.

14. Hannahspip

Hannahspip New Member

Galaxee, can you give me some more information about where or how to get a refurbished unit? I suspect my dealer will simply tell me that he can't get it and still want $2,000. He has told me that the cost to install one (if I could get one) is $160.

Does anyone know if the nav system is part of the MFD screen? i.e. I don't have the nav system, but if I could have that installed as part of the replacement for no extra charge, it would take some of the sting out by increasing the value ofthe vehicle. I once replaced an engine in a Chevy and got airconditioning as part of the deal.

Still interested in convincing Toyota that this isn't the right way to treat early adopters. Anyone else?

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    his parts guy won't give him the contact info to give to someone to give their dealer. dealers are supposed to know where to get the refurbs. new units are down to $3k last he checked, and the $2k number says to DH that your dealer is getting refurbs and doing some severe markup.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=26072
    need to get a more current price but we can go about it the long and awkward way for much cheaper.

16. Hannahspip

Hannahspip New Member

Thank you very much Galaxee, that will work for me. First, though, I'd like to put a full-court press on Toyota. I have the California Customer satisfaction phone number. Is there also some kind of more local number for a regional or zone representative and how do I find such a thing? Before I call, I plan to call other dealers in the area to see if I can find anyone who will acknowledge the refurb program and give me a reasonable price. Any advice?

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yes, do call to see if anyone else will do the refurb. if that's negative, call the dealer you started with, ask to talk to the service director.

when you go through the situation and they give you the same old line, ask for the district rep's name and number.

talk to him, and repeat the process. if he doesn't help, ask for the regional rep's name and number.

continue moving up, and for every step that doesn't budge, ask to talk to their boss. tell them you know the program exists and you will not pay $2000 when a $500ish refurb is available.

18. ernighthawk

ernighthawk New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ok I have searched and searched the blogs, and havn't found anyone who has the prob i have. when my treo is conected via bluetooth and i understand that not all the features work but the dial screen will go dark and i'm unable to push any buttons, if left alone sometimes it brightens up and i'm able to dial using the keypad. Now i thought this was just something to do with the treo not fully syncing to the pruis, however I found the same problem while playing a MP3 cd in my changer. when i attempt to pull up the file menu, it may pull up but then goes dark and then blanks out. I have also notice a major delay in pulling up info while in this mode. is this a problem with the screen or computer or is this normal? Any idea's would be great, thank you

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does this happen when you are driving? How about sitting at a light? The Prius disables many of the phone, nav, and audio screens when the car is in motion. It does this to keep people from being distracted when driving.

Tom

20. ernighthawk

ernighthawk New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have looked and it happens reather or not i'm moving or sitting still.